Question: Is there any way to get my other smart products to work with my Ring Doorbell?
Answer: Yes! As long as you have other smart devices, you can set them up in a variety of ways to work with your Ring Video Doorbell by using a service called IFTTT.
IFTTT stands for “If this, then that.” It’s a system that allows you to create “Applets” that connect devices with each other, allowing you to get the most out of your smart home. The rest of this article will give you instruction on how to create your own IFTTT applet.
- If you have an iOS device, go to the App Store. For an Android device, go to Google Play.
- Search for “IFTTT.”
- Download and install the IFTTT app.
- Once the app is installed, start it up and create a new account to get started.
- Tap “My Applets” on the bottom-right corner of the IFTTT app to open your Applet Dashboard.
- To create a new Applet, tap the plus sign at the top-right corner.
Once you create your Applet, it will be saved in “My Applets.” In this section, you can also edit, delete or turn off your Applets.
On the next screen, you will designate the trigger for your Applet. The trigger is the event that activates your Applet and begins another event.
- Tap the plus sign next to “this” to get started.
- Search for and select “Ring.”
- Select “New Ring Detected” if you want your lights to turn on whenever someone presses your Ring Video Doorbell.
- Select “New Motion Detected” if you want them to turn on when your Ring device detects motion.
Note: If you want to create an Applet for both circumstances, you’ll need to repeat this process and create two Applets.
Next, you’ll need to sign into your Ring account to link it with the IFTTT app.
- In the IFTTT app, tap “Connect,” and you’ll be sent the Ring Account page.
- Sign into your Ring account, and you’ll be redirected to the IFTTT app.
- Select the name of the Ring device that you want to trigger the Applet.
Next, you’ll need to determine what you want to happen when your Ring receives an alert, In this example, we're turning on our lights will turn on when your Ring is triggered.
- Tap the plus sign next to “That.”
- Search for your smart product on the next screen.
- Type in the brand name of your smart product. In the images that accompany this article, we’ll use Philips Hue lights, but any smart product that’s integrated with IFTTT will also work.
- Choose your Action. Actions available will vary depending on the product you use, but in this example, you can have the lights turn on, change color, blink and more.
Keep in mind that you can also create Applets for smart plugs. Items plugged into a D-Link, WeMo or WIFIPLUG smart plug can be connected to your Ring device, and will turn on when it’s triggered.
Next, you’ll need to sign into the account you created for your smart product, so you can connect it to IFTTT and your Ring device.
- In the IFTTT app, tap “Connect,” and you’ll be sent to your smart device’s Account page.
- Sign into your smart device account, and you’ll be redirected to the IFTTT app.
- Select the name of the product that you want to turn on when you get a Ring notification.
- Tap Finish.
You’re good to go!
For more IFTTT Applets, click here for a list of Ring Applets that can help you get the most out of your device.