If you are a Ring Alarm owner or camera-only user (including doorbell devices) with a compatible Amazon Echo device, you can enable Alexa to change your modes (armed or disarmed) with voice commands.
So when you are leaving your home or business to do errands, you can simply say “Alexa, arm Ring” and your Ring camera devices, as well as your Ring Alarm system, will set to Away (armed) mode and monitor your property while you are away.
When you return to your home, simply say “Alexa, disarm Ring” and provide your 4-digit passcode to disarm your Ring cameras and Alarm devices. Your Ring devices will return to Home (disarmed) mode.
Follow These Steps to Set Your Ring Device’s Mode to Arm or Disarm with Alexa by Using Your Voice:
- First, enable mode settings for your Ring doorbell or camera (if you have one of these devices):
- Open your Ring app and tap the main menu (three-lined icon).
- Tap Settings, then Modes.
- Scroll down and tap Enable Mode Settings for Cameras.
- Tap Default Mode Settings or choose the option to Customize Mode Settings.
NOTE: By default, Ring Alarm users have modes (armed and disarmed) enabled.
- Next, open the Amazon Alexa app.
- Enable the Ring Alexa skill:
- Tap Skills & Games on the main menu.
- On the next screen, search for Ring in the search box. After you've found Ring, tap the Enable button.
- Next, Alexa will ask you to sign into your Ring account. Doing so will link your Ring account to your Alexa account.
- After signing in, you'll be asked to discover devices. Tap the Discover Devices button. All of your Ring devices should appear and be connected to Alexa automatically. If you don't want Alexa to integrate with a particular Ring device, simply tap Forget on the right side.
- If none of your Ring devices appear automatically, you can:
- Check if your device is already set up.
- Tap Try Discovery Again.
- Ask, "Alexa, discover my devices."
- Choose the option to get help connecting or contact customer service.
All of your Ring devices should appear and connect automatically to Alexa.
- After discovery, your device should appear as "<location> Ring" in the Alexa app. Next, you’ll need to set a passcode to disarm your device:
- In the Alexa app, tap Devices then All Devices to view the list of your devices.
- Select the device that you want to arm and disarm using your voice.
- Under Settings toggle on "Disarm by Voice."
- You will be prompted to set up a 4-digit passcode.
- Say "Alexa, arm Ring" or "Alexa, disarm Ring" to change the mode for your Ring device.
- You can also say "Alexa, I'm leaving" or "Alexa, I'm home."
- When disarming, you must say your voice passcode.