Installing your Ring Intercom yourself should take around 45 minutes. The Ring app provides step-by-step instructions to make it easy to install and wire your Ring Intercom.
To start using your Ring Intercom, you’ll need to complete all the steps below.
- Charge the provided battery
- Insert the battery
- Download the Ring app
- Create or log in to your account
- Tap Setup Device
- Scan the QR code on your Ring device
- Specify your location
- Name your device
- Put your Ring Intercom into setup mode
- Connect to your Ring device
- Connect your Ring Intercom to your wifi
- Set up access control features
- Physically install Ring Intercom
Before you open the box...
Make sure you’ve checked that Ring Intercom is compatible with your existing intercom system.
If you need support during the installation please reach out to our Customer Support team.
1. Charge the provided battery
Fully charge the provided battery using a micro-USB cable or Ring Charging Station. The battery is fully charged when only the green LED is lit.
2. Insert the battery
Insert the battery with the flat metal catch facing the front of your Ring Intercom. When you have inserted the battery properly, you should hear a click sound. This means the battery is properly secured.
3. Download the Ring app
To download the Ring app:
- On your mobile device, go to the App Store (for iOS devices) or the Play Store (for Android devices).
- Search for Ring.
- Download and install the Ring app on your mobile device.
Or visit ring.com/app on your mobile device.
4. Create or log in to your account
If this is your first Ring product, you will be asked to set up an account.
To set up an account:
- Open the Ring app.
- Select Create Account.
- Follow the in-app instructions to create a new account.
If you already have another Ring device installed, simply open the Ring app.
4. Tap Set Up a Device
Tap Set Up a Device then select Intercom.
5. Scan the QR code on your Ring device
The QR code can be found on the Ring Intercom box, on the front of the Ring Intercom, visible once the cover is removed, and on the Quick Start Guide that came with your device.
Note: If you experience issues with scanning the QR code, you can tap Set Up Without Scanning and enter the five-digit pin under the QR code, and continue through the setup process.
7. Specify your location
If this is your first time setting up a Ring device, you will have to enter your address into the app and confirm it.
If you have established a Location previously, you can select it from the list of your Locations.
Note: Without a specific address, certain features of your Ring Intercom will not work properly.
8. Name your device
Select a specific name for your Ring Intercom to distinguish it from other Ring devices on your account. You can choose one of the default names suggested, or you can enter your own by selecting “Custom…” at the bottom of the list.
9. Wait for your Ring Intercom to enter setup mode
Wait for your Intercom to enter setup mode. When the light on the front begins flashing blue, continue to the next step.
10. Connect to your Ring device
On iOS, tap “Join” when the Ring app asks to join the Ring wifi network. On Android, your device should automatically connect to the Ring wifi network.
If your device does not automatically connect to the Ring wifi network, or if you chose to continue without scanning in step six, please follow the steps below:
- Press the home button on your phone to leave the Ring app.
- Navigate to the Settings app, then tap Wifi.
- On Android, you may need to navigate to Connection then Wifi.
- “Ring-” followed by the last six digits of the MAC address.
- “Ring Setup” followed by the last two digits of the MAC address.
11. Connect your Ring Intercom to your wifi
Be sure you’re near your router and have your wifi password ready.
- Select your wifi network.
- If you have more than one wifi network, select the network closest to where you will be installing your Intercom.
Note: After connecting to your wifi network, your Ring Intercom may update its internal software. While performing an update, the light on the front of your device will flash blue three times, staying blue for three seconds on the third flash, followed by slow blinking white light. Process repeats 1 additional time Once the light stops blinking, you know the update is complete and you can continue the setup.
12. Set up access control features
During this step you will be able to set up the access control features that are available with Ring Intercom, such as:
- Auto Verify for Amazon Deliveries, which allows time-bound access for verified Amazon deliveries.
- Shared Users, which lets other household members use Ring Intercom features.
- Device linking, which lets you set up relationships between your Ring devices so they can work together to protect you. For example, if one device detects motion, other devices can begin recording video or turn on their lights.
13. Physically install Ring Intercom
Physically installing your Ring intercom is a simple process. Follow the step-by-step guide below or watch this video.
- Remove the housing of your Intercom system. To remove your intercom cover please follow the below instructions:
- Remove handset from the hook
- Remove screw with a Phillips head screwdriver
- Pull off the faceplate
For pull off
- Insert flat-head screwdriver
- Twist and pry off front cover using screwdriver
For hidden tab
- Place screwdriver on the tab
- Push down screwdriver to remove faceplate
- Find the brand and model of your existing intercom system. You can find the brand of the intercom on your handset. Most intercom manufacturers print their brand name on the plastic exterior cover. The model number is usually on the control board near the wiring, it also may be on the back plate, or on a sticker. If you have issues please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org by sending a photo of the exterior and interior of your intercom.
Front of intercom system Intercom cover removed
- Take the correct cable (A, B, or C) for your existing intercom system from your Ring Intercom box, as indicated in the Ring app.
- Follow the wiring instructions specific to your intercom system, as provided in the Ring app.
- Once complete, connect the cable to your Ring Intercom.
- Re-attach the front cover of your intercom wall unit.
- Mount your Ring Intercom to the wall beside your handset using Tesa tape or screws. Read the full guide on how to mount your Ring Intercom.
- If necessary, let your Ring Intercom download the latest and greatest software. You may need to wait up to 15 minutes while this process takes place. Leave your Ring Intercom powered on.
- Follow the testing steps in the Ring app to make sure everything is working as it should. If it is, you’re ready to go.