Privacy is foundational to Ring, and we’re always working to help our customers keep their accounts and information safe. We also strongly encourage our customers to respect their neighbors’ privacy and comply with any applicable local and national laws when using their Ring device. Below, we outline several ways to use privacy features in the Ring App, and how to inform others that Ring devices are in use.
- Creating Privacy Zones
- Disabling audio / video streaming and recording (if you have a Ring Protect plan)
- Yard signs and / or window stickers
Creating Privacy Zones
A Privacy Zone is an area within your Ring device camera's field-of-view that you can define as off-limits. The Ring App won't display anything in that area in Live View or record anything in the privacy zone (if you have a Ring Protect plan).
- You can set up to two rectangular-shaped Privacy Zones.
- Each zone can be compared to a small piece of tape over the doorbell or security camera lens.
- The recorded video in these Privacy Zones is blocked out and cannot be recovered.
- A privacy zone only prevents recording in that space. It will not prevent the triggering of motion detection.
Use this link to learn more or watch a video on how to set up a Privacy Zone.
You can also customize your Motion Settings and set up Motion Zones for your home privacy needs.
Disabling Audio/Video Recording
You can disable audio recording and/or video recording (if you have a Ring Protect plan) in the Ring App.
Use this link to learn how to disable audio recording.
Disable motion detection to prevent recording, or use Ring Modes.
Yard Signs and Window Stickers
You can purchase a security yard sign, solar yard sign or download sticker templates. A security sticker is also included in the box your device came in.