Virtual Security Guard¹ is a monthly subscription service from Rapid Response that provides live monitoring of camera motion events for the compatible, enrolled cameras at your home or business. Trained agents will monitor events when a person is detected and act accordingly on your behalf.
- This is an add-on service for Ring Protect Pro or Protect Plus (1st Gen) customers who are enrolled in Alarm professional monitoring.
- A subscription includes 175 events for $99/month per location. Events don’t roll over to the next month, but instead reset each month to 175 at the start of each billing cycle.
Click here to subscribe to Virtual Security Guard.
Note: You’ll soon be able to opt into Extra Events to keep the service active beyond 175 events. Extra Events will be $0.99 per event, and There will be not charge for Extra Events until 3/15/23.
How Virtual Security Guard Works After You’re Subscribed
Important: Rapid Response agents will only review your enrolled cameras when the service is active and a person is detected in a camera motion event.
First, learn how Ring Alarm Modes work. You activate or deactivate Virtual Security Guard by setting certain Modes.
- The service is active when you set your Mode to Home or Away – meaning your Alarm is armed. When active, agents will monitor your cameras when a person is detected.
- The service is inactive when your Mode is set to Disarmed. This means agents don’t monitor camera motion events and can’t see the Live View on your enrolled device(s).
Next, get to know events. A Virtual Security Guard event happens each time a Rapid Response agent reviews your enrolled cameras (if the service is armed and a person is detected in a camera motion event):
- An agent is notified when a person is detected by a camera, and a person is detected in the motion event.
- A Rapid Response agent will view your enrolled cameras’ Live View to see what is occurring on your property.
- Depending on the event type and your alert preferences, the agent may send you an SMS alert, initiate Two-Way Talk (if a person is observed), or request to dispatch emergency response.
Note: For events requiring your attention, you will receive an SMS alert with a link to the event recording. These will always be sent from +1-424-300-8338 (we recommend saving this number to your contacts). Learn more about events here.
Here are standard agent responses to events that may occur on your property when Virtual Security Guard is active.
|Event Type||Description||Monitoring Agent Response|
|Common Event||A passerby, vehicle, animal, or other motion is captured on the property.||Agent resolves the event without contacting the property owner. No SMS alert will be sent.|
Delivery or Service Worker
|A service worker or delivery person is on the property.||Agent sends property owner an SMS alert with a link to a video recording of the event.|
|Person on Property||A person is on the property that is not a service worker or delivery person.||Agent uses Two-Way Talk to announce that the property is being monitored and sends an SMS alert with a link to a video recording of the event.|
|Person on Property Escalation||A person is still on the property after the agent engaged in Two-Way Talk.||Agent uses Two-Way Talk to announce that the property is being monitored.
Agent sends property owner an SMS alert indicating that an event needs attention.
|Urgent Events||Package Theft or Property Damage is taking place.||Agent uses Two-Way Talk to announce that the property is being monitored and activates the device siren (if available).
Agent sends an SMS alert to property owner and emergency contacts with a link to video recording of the event.
If necessary, the agent will call the first emergency contact.
|Emergency Events||A life threatening or violent situation is taking place.||Agent activates the device siren (if available) and requests to dispatch emergency services to the property.
Agent calls the property owner and emergency contacts.
Agent sends an SMS alert to property owner and emergency contacts, indicating that emergency services have been alerted with a link to a video recording of the event.
FAQs for Using Virtual Security Guard
When does a Rapid Response agent have access to my Live View?
- Agents can monitor your Live View during a camera motion event when your Alarm Mode is set to Home or Away and a person is detected.
- If an event occurs and an agent initiates Live View on one enrolled camera, they can then initiate Live View on any or all of your enrolled cameras at the same location.
- Agents can’t initiate Live View when there is no camera motion event and cannot download videos on (a) a camera that isn't enrolled in Virtual Security Guard or (b) without a qualifying event.
How do I unsubscribe from Virtual Security Guard?
Simply follow the steps on this page.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
If you have additional questions, contact Ring Customer Support at 1-866-894-8282. This is our line dedicated to Virtual Security Guard customers.
¹ Virtual Security Guard is available only within the U.S. (all 50 states, but not U.S. territories), and is an add-on service that requires enrollment, and the following (all sold separately): a subscription fee per enrolled location in addition to a compatible Ring Protect plan, a Ring Alarm system, enrollment in Ring Alarm Professional monitoring, and at least 1 eligible device. Rapid Response is the seller and provider of the camera motion person detection monitoring service and agents. Ring bills your Ring account for this service. Virtual Security Guard subscription fee includes 175 monitored camera motion person detection events per month. Opt in to Extra Events for an additional cost. Ring Alarm sensors are not monitored by Virtual Security Guard (Alarm sensors only trigger Alarm professional monitoring). Learn more here.
A compatible Ring Protect subscription is required to enroll in the Ring Alarm professional monitoring service. Professional monitoring service is available only within the U.S. (all 50 states, but not U.S. territories) and in Canada (excluding Quebec). Ring does not own its own professional monitoring center. Smoke and carbon monoxide monitoring is not available for a business or commercially zoned address. See Ring alarm licenses at: https://www.ring.com/licenses. Additional permit or false alarm fees may apply depending on your local jurisdiction. Additional charges may apply in areas that require permits or guard response service for alarm verification.