What is Ring Alarm Pro?
Ring Alarm Pro gives you a Ring Alarm for trusted physical security, and an eero Wi-Fi 6 router for fast wifi and network security in a single system. Unlike traditional home security systems, Ring Alarm Pro also offers optional layers of backup protection to help stay connected in case the power or internet goes out. By combining Alarm Pro with a Ring Protect Pro plan, you have more protection, and more ways to secure your home.
Your Alarm Pro Base Station includes both Z-Wave and Wi-Fi 6 technology, so you can customize your Alarm Pro experience by adding Ring Video Doorbells, cameras, and Ring Alarm security devices, as well as smart home accessories like compatible smart locks.
Is it easy to set up the Ring Alarm Pro?
Ring Alarm Pro is easy to set up, and no professional installation is required. You’ll use the Ring app to complete the initial Ring Alarm Pro setup, and then we’ll direct you to the eero app to set up (or log in to) your account and create a wifi network.
After you complete setup, you can choose to add Ring cameras, alarm security devices, compatible smart home devices, and enroll in professional monitoring.
Which Ring devices work with the Alarm Pro?
The Ring Alarm Pro works with a wide range of devices:
- Ring Alarm security devices, including Contact Sensors, Motion Detectors, Keypads and Range Extenders (both 1st gen and 2nd gen), which connect via Z-Wave
- Ring Video Doorbells and Cameras connect via wifi
- Ring Power Packs for external battery backup, which plug right into your Alarm Pro
- Ring Alarm accessories, including Flood & Freeze Sensors, Smoke & CO Listeners and Panic Buttons
- Works with Ring Z-Wave and wifi accessories, including smart locks, switches and other compatible smart home accessories
- eero 6 Extenders to expand your Wi-Fi 6 mesh network
- Amazon Alexa-enabled devices to help you control your smart home with voice activated commands
You can add more devices to your Ring Alarm Pro anytime.
Are all Ring Alarm security devices compatible with Ring Alarm Pro? Are all alarm features available too?
Yes. All Ring Alarm 1st and 2nd generation Ring Alarm security devices are compatible with the Alarm Pro, including Contact Sensors, Motion Detectors, Keypads and Range Extenders. You can also use Ring Alarm accessories, including Flood & Freeze Sensors, Smoke & CO Listeners, and Panic Buttons.
You will get all Ring Alarm features, including Shared and Guest Users, alerts and notifications, and linked devices. You can also enroll in professional monitoring with SOS, Duress code, and customized police response. A Ring Protect Pro subscription plan is required to enroll in professional monitoring.
Do I still need my wifi router if I use Alarm Pro?
No. Ring Alarm Pro has a built-in eero Wi-Fi 6 router that connects directly to your modem. Wifi setup is simple using the eero app. You can create a secure wifi mesh network at your location in minutes, and use it to connect any wifi device to the internet. Ring Alarm Pro supports fast wifi, and covers an area of up to 1500 sq. ft.**
Ring Alarm Pro is designed to be used as the gateway, or primary router, on your home network. This diagram shows how to correctly set up your Alarm Pro as the gateway of your home network:
Alarm Pro will be connected to your modem and the internet using an ethernet cable, but will communicate with the cameras and devices in your home using wifi. You can expand your wifi network at any time by adding eero 6 Extenders. Each adds up to 1500 sq. ft. of Wi-Fi 6 coverage to your existing network.**
Will my existing eero products work with Alarm Pro?
Yes. All generations of eero products will work as wifi extenders for your Ring Alarm Pro, but we recommend eero 6 Mesh Wifi Extenders, which are compatible with Ring Power Packs.
Set up Ring Alarm Pro as your primary internet router or “gateway” (meaning it should be plugged directly into your modem), and then set up your existing eero devices as wifi extenders using the eero app.
Note: We do not recommend using Ring Alarm Pro as a wifi extender for your existing router. Using your Alarm Pro as an extender will prevent you from accessing many of the Protect Pro subscription features, including 24/7 Backup Internet.
How do I upgrade my Ring Alarm to Ring Alarm Pro?
We’ve made this step easy. Simply open the Ring app, begin to set up your Ring Alarm Pro, and choose the location which has the Ring Alarm Base Station that you’d like to replace. The app will help you save your Ring Alarm settings and devices, then restore them to your new Alarm Pro Base Station after it’s set up on your Ring account.
Which subscription plan can I use with the Ring Alarm Pro?
The Ring Protect Pro plan is designed for your Alarm Pro. You’ll get important security features, including:
- 24/7 Professional monitoring to request emergency response
- 24/7 Backup Internet* to keep your Ring video doorbells and cameras, alarm system, and entire wifi network online if the internet goes down. You’ll get 3GB of data each month. If you need more, you can opt into Extra Data, and only pay for the data you use.
- Alexa Guard+
- eero Secure for advanced online security.
You’ll also get all of the benefits of the other Ring Protect plans, including camera Live View, two-way talk, notifications for Ring cameras, video storage and sharing, and snapshot capture for Ring cameras, and extended warranties and discounts from Ring. Click here to learn more about Ring Protect Pro.
What is 24/7 Backup Internet and how does it work?
24/7 Backup Internet* is a feature that keeps your Ring Alarm Pro online using cellular data.
When the internet connection goes down, or if no internet service is available, Alarm Pro switches to 24/7 Backup Internet* and starts using cellular data to keep the alarm system, eero wifi network, and everything using wifi including Ring cameras connected to the internet.
You need an active Protect Pro subscription to use 24/7 Backup Internet*, and the plan includes 3GB of cellular data every month. You can also opt in to Extra Data, and get more cellular data for $3/GB. At the end of the month, you’ll only pay for the Extra Data that you use.
Note: If you do not opt in to Extra Data and use up your 3GB monthly allotment, Alarm Pro will switch over to Alarm Cellular Backup if the internet is out, which will keep your Ring Alarm system online with some Ring security features, but Backup Internet will not be available to your other devices.
The Protect Pro plan’s 3GB of 24/7 Backup Internet* data will reset on the first of the billing cycle. You can monitor your data usage in the Ring app.
Does Alarm Pro work when the power goes out?
When the power goes out, you have two options to keep your Ring Alarm Pro on.
- Alarm Pro has an internal backup battery inside the Base Station that can provide backup power. When using the internal battery, you may have limited access to Alarm features only.
- Ring Power Packs (sold separately) can provide external battery backup for your Alarm Pro. Connect up to four fully-charged Power Packs to a single Alarm Pro to keep it working for hours and all Alarm Pro features will be available.
Ring Power Packs can also be used to provide backup power to your eero 6 Extenders, which will keep your expanded wifi network up if you lose power.
What happens when the internet goes out?
Your Ring Protect Pro plan offers 24/7 Backup Internet when you need it. This means that if the internet goes out, or if you don’t have internet service, you can use cellular data to connect all devices on your wifi network to the internet.
The 24/7 Backup Internet* feature included with the Ring Protect Pro plan gives you 3GB of data every month. If you need more, you can opt in to Extra Data, and you’ll only pay for data you use. We recommend opting in to Extra Data if you’re using Alarm Pro at a location without an internet connection.
Note: If you don’t opt in to Extra Data and use up your 3GB for the month, Alarm Pro will switch to Alarm Cellular Backup which provides access to only critical Ring Alarm security features. When an internet connection is restored, Alarm Pro will automatically switch back to using it. Your 3GB will reset on the first day of the new billing cycle.
Can I use Alarm Pro if I don’t have a broadband internet connection at my location?
Yes! You can set up your Alarm Pro using 24/7 Backup Internet* for your primary internet service. You will get 3GB of cellular data each month, included in your Ring Protect Pro subscription. If you need more, opt in to Extra Data. You’ll be charged $3 per GB of cellular data that you use at the end of each month.
What happens to Alarm Pro when both power and internet service is unavailable?
Your Ring Alarm Pro has an internal battery used for alarm security only. If you don’t have any Power Packs and you lose power, your Alarm Pro will switch to the internal battery and shut down most features, including wifi, to conserve power. You’ll only be able to arm and disarm your alarm, and if an emergency is detected, the siren will sound. (If you have Protect Pro and are enrolled in professional monitoring, Alarm Pro will also send the signal out to the monitoring center while on battery backup.)
If you have a fully charged Ring Power Pack connected to your Alarm Pro, you’ll have access to all of your Ring Alarm Pro features.
Can I control my Alarm Pro with an app?
Ring Alarm Pro uses both the Ring app and the eero app. When you first set up your Alarm Pro:
- The Ring app is used to set up your Alarm Pro on your Ring account, enroll in professional monitoring, add Ring devices, and add Shared and Guest Users.
- The eero app is used to link your Alarm Pro to an eero account, connect it to your modem and set up your wifi network.
After setup, you’ll see the two apps to manage your physical and digital security on a regular basis:
- The Ring app lets you arm and disarm your alarm, set alert preferences, view your saved videos, and manage data usage for your Ring devices (if you have a Protect Pro subscription).
- The eero app is used to manage your wifi network, control which devices can use the internet, set up parental controls and content filters, and monitor online security threats.***
Can I get professional installation for my Ring Alarm Pro and other Ring devices?
Ring offers professional installation. Click here to learn more.
* Extra data charges may apply. Backup cellular data is provided by a third party carrier, and availability, technology, and speeds will vary. May require backup power if the power goes out. Visit ring.com/alarm-pro for more details. Ring Alarm Pro is designed to be used as a router, as using Ring Alarm Pro as an extender may impact your ability to utilize Ring Protect Pro features.
**eero mesh wifi router provides up to 1500 sq. ft. of coverage. Adding eero extenders expands coverage. Actual range and performance can vary, including based on device usage and internet connection speed.
***Online security features are available to US customers with eero Secure, included with Ring Protect Pro.
Tap here to find Frequently Asked Questions about Ring Power Packs.