You can use your Ring Alarm Pro without wired internet connection or an internet service provider. To do this, you’ll need both:
- A Ring Protect Pro subscription.
- A reliable power source for your Alarm Pro. This can be an outlet, or Ring Power Packs.
The Ring Protect Pro subscription includes 24/7 Backup Internet, a feature that keeps your Ring Alarm Pro online using cellular data.
- You can choose “I need internet” during setup, and set up your Alarm Pro using Backup Internet.
- When no internet service is available, Alarm Pro uses 24/7 Backup Internet which includes cellular data to keep the alarm system, eero wifi network, and everything using wifi (including Ring cameras) connected to the internet.
- Your Ring Protect Pro plan includes 3GB of cellular data every month.
- You can also opt in to Extra Data, and get more cellular data for $3/GB. At the end of the month, you’ll only pay for the Extra Data that you use.
Managing data use when using Backup Internet
When you use the cellular data provided via 24/7 Backup Internet and Extra Data, you can monitor your data usage via the Ring app.
The “Data” tile is available on the Ring app dashboard and on the Alarm Pro device screen. When you tap it, you’ll see the the amount of data you’ve used this month. You will also get push notifications with data use updates.
If you want to reduce your data usage, you can tap on the Data tile and turn data off for individual Ring devices, entire categories of devices, or all Ring devices. Open the eero app to “pause” wifi for any non-Ring devices on your wifi network.
Tap here to learn more ways to save data with Ring camera settings.
A few more things to know about using Alarm Pro with Backup Internet
- The Protect Pro plan’s 3GB of 24/7 Backup Internet data will reset on the first of the billing cycle. You can monitor your data usage in the Ring app.
- If you do not opt in to Extra Data and use up your 3GB monthly allotment, Alarm Pro will switch over to Alarm Cellular Backup if the internet is out, which will keep your Ring Alarm system online with limited Ring security features. Backup Internet, wifi, and other features will not be available until the start of your next billing cycle when your 3GB of data is renewed.
- Extra Data charges may apply. Backup cellular data is provided by a third party carrier, and availability, technology, and speeds will vary.
- Ring Alarm Pro is designed to be used as a router. If you set up Ring Alarm Pro as a wifi extender, you will not have access to Backup Internet.