Setting up your Video Doorbell Wired in the Ring app is simple. Simply scroll down for a step-by-step guide.
Step One - Download the Ring App
To download the Ring app:
- On your mobile device, go to the App Store (for iOS devices) or the Play Store (for Android devices).
- Search for Ring.
- Download and install the Ring app on your mobile device.
Or visit ring.com/app on your mobile device.
Step Two - Create or Log in to Your Account
If this is your first Ring product, you will be asked to set up an account.
To set up an account:
- Open the Ring app.
- Select Create Account.
- Follow the in-app instructions to create a new account.
If you already have another Ring device installed, simply open the Ring app.
Step Three - Tap “Setup Device’
Tap “Set Up a Device” then select “Doorbells.”
Step Four - Scan the QR code or MAC ID barcode on your Ring device
The QR code can be found on the side of the device, while the MAC ID is on the back of your Ring Video Doorbell Wired.
Note: Make sure to slide off the doorbell faceplate if you don't see the set up button or QR code.
- Point the camera on your smartphone at the QR code or MAC ID barcode on the back of your Video Doorbell.
- This code can also be found on the product packaging or on the Quick Start Guide that came with your device.
- Center the code in the phone camera’s view at the top of the screen.
- Once the code is recognized, a green square (for QR code) or a green line (MAC ID barcode) will appear, and the setup will proceed to the next step.
Note: If you experience issues with scanning the QR code or MAC ID barcode, you can select “Set Up Without Scanning” and select “Video Doorbell Wired” to continue through the setup process.
Step Five - Specify Your Location
If this is your first time setting up a Ring device, you will receive a request from your phone informing you that the Ring app wishes to use your phone’s location services to pinpoint your location. Allowing the app to do so will assist with inputting your address.
Enter your address information into the app, then confirm it.
If you have established a location previously, you can select it from the list of your locations.
Note: Without a specific location, certain features of your Video Doorbell will not work properly.
Step Six - Name Your Device
Select a specific name for your Video Doorbell Wired to distinguish it from other Ring devices on your account. You can choose one of the default names that are suggested, or you can enter your own by selecting “Custom…” at the bottom of the list.
Step Seven - Put Your Video Doorbell into Setup Mode
Press and release the button on the orange button on the side of your Ring Video Doorbell Wired. When there's a spinning white light on the front of your Video Doorbell, tap the “Continue” button in your Ring app.
Step Eight - Connect to Your Ring Device
iOS: Tap Join when the Ring app asks to join the Ring wifi network.
Android: Your device should automatically connect to the Ring wifi network.
If your device does not automatically connect to the Ring wifi network, or if you chose to continue without scanning in step six, please follow the steps below:
- Press the home button on your phone to leave the Ring app.
- Navigate to the Settings app, then tap Wifi.
- On Android, you may need to navigate to Connection then Wifi.
- Select the Ring wifi network from the list of available networks. The network will appear as either:
- Ring- followed by the last six digits of the MAC ID.
- Ring Setup followed by the last two digits of the MAC ID.
- Once connected, close your Settings app and return to the Ring app
Step Nine - Connect Your Video Doorbell to Your Wifi
Be sure you’re near your router and have your wifi password ready.
- Select your wifi network.
- If you have more than one wifi network, select the network closest to where you will be installing your Video Doorbell.
- Enter your wifi password and press Continue.
Note: After connecting to your wifi network, your Video Doorbell may update its internal software. While performing an update, the light on the front of your device will flash white. Once the light stops flashing, you know the update is complete and you can continue the setup.
Please do not attempt to ring the doorbell at this time, as it will further delay the update.
Step Ten - Test Your Device
Once your Video Doorbell has completed its update and setup, push the front button to complete a test call. This will initiate your software and ensure your doorbell is ready to function.