Learn how Ring Edge lets you store and process videos captured on your Ring device on your local system rather than in the cloud (Ring Protect Pro subscription required, sold separately).
What does it mean to “store and process videos locally” rather than in the cloud?
Your Ring Alarm Pro can process your videos right on your device and store them on a MicroSD card inserted into your Ring Alarm Pro. To use this feature, you'll need a MicroSD card, a Ring Protect Pro subscription, and a Ring Alarm Pro Base Station.
Learn more about MicroSD cards for Ring Alarm Pro.
What is the Ring Protect plan?
A Ring Protect plan is a subscription that unlocks premium features for your devices, like in-app arming and disarming, push notifications, video recording, professional monitoring, and more. Without a Ring Protect plan, you can access Live View on your video doorbells and security cameras and answer doorbell notifications when they happen, but you do not get video recordings of those events. The Ring Protect Pro plan is recommended for Ring Alarm Pro customers in order to utilize professional monitoring1, 24/7 Backup Internet, eero Secure and additional features.
What are the benefits of storing and processing videos locally rather than in the cloud?
Storing and processing your videos locally has a variety of benefits:
- Data is stored locally rather than in the cloud, so it can be saved and accessed securely on a MicroSD card.
- Data may be encrypted on your MicroSD card which makes the card unreadable if stolen.
Can I view videos stored locally on a PC?
If you have activated optional encryption on your MicroSD card, you cannot view the locally stored videos on another device.
How do I set my Ring video doorbell or security camera to local storage?
- During the Ring Alarm Pro setup, you’ll see an Activate Ring Edge screen.
- Tap Get Started.
- If you already have Ring video doorbells or security cameras installed, they will be displayed on screen.
- For video doorbells and security cameras you wish to have local processing and storage, toggle this feature on.
- If you do not already have Ring video doorbells or security cameras installed, you can go back to Ring Alarm Pro and tap on Enrolled Cameras to opt cameras into local processing and storage once they are set up.
1 A compatible Ring Protect subscription is required to enroll in the Ring Alarm professional monitoring service. Professional monitoring service is available only within the U.S. (all 50 states, but not U.S. territories) and in Canada (excluding Quebec). Ring does not own its own professional monitoring center. Smoke and carbon monoxide monitoring is not available for commercial properties. See Ring Alarm licenses at: https://www.ring.com/licenses.