Keep your mail safe and secure with these easy-to-follow instructions on how to install a Ring Mailbox Sensor with or without the range-extending antenna.
Step one — Preparing your mailbox to install the Mailbox Sensor antenna
If your mailbox is made of metal, it can block the wireless signal that connects the Mailbox Sensor to your Ring Bridge. Install your Mailbox Sensor with the included antenna to ensure your devices stays connected and the wireless signal remains uninterrupted.
If you do not have a metal mailbox, you can still add the antenna to increase your Mailbox Sensor’s range.
The Mailbox Sensor goes on the inside of your mailbox door. The antenna goes on the outside, and its cable needs to run inside to the sensor. To avoid damaging the cable, there must be a hole or gap for the cable to run through. If your mailbox doesn't have one, make your own using the included drill bit.
Step two — Preparing your Mailbox Sensor for installation
- Pull the tabs on the sides of the Mailbox Sensor apart to remove the rear cover.
- Pull the cover off.
- Switch the antenna on or off depending on if you will or won’t use it with your sensor:
- Mailbox Sensor with antenna: flip the switch inside the battery depression to face the octagon symbol (default).
- Mailbox Sensor without antenna: flip the switch inside the battery depression to face away from the octagon symbol.
- Insert the three (3) AAA batteries into the sensor.
- Follow the corresponding marking to make sure the batteries are inserted the right way.
- Snap the cover back onto the Mailbox Sensor.
- Bring the Mailbox Sensor within six (6) feet of your Ring Bridge.
Step three — Setting up your Mailbox Sensor in the Ring app
- Open the Ring app.
- Tap the menu (☰).
- Tap Set Up a Device.
- Select Mailbox Sensor from the list of devices.
- Scan the QR code on the Mailbox Sensor or product packaging.
- Follow the in-app setup to complete installation.
Step four — Installing your Mailbox Sensor into your mailbox
- Mount the hexagon-shaped antenna to the outside of your mailbox using the included adhesive.
- Run the cable through a gap or the hole you have drilled.
- If you drilled a hole, wrap the included grommet around the cable and press into hole.
- Plug the antenna cable into the Mailbox Sensor.
- Mount your Mailbox Sensor into your mailbox using the included adhesive
- We recommend you place your Mailbox Sensor on the inside of the mailbox door.