If your camera detects a Motion Event and you have a Ring Protect Plan, your device will record1 the motion for a fixed length of time (eg. 60 seconds). On select Ring wired cameras, the motion recording length is set to Auto. The Auto setting makes your recordings smarter and enables your camera to record when motion begins, and stop recording when motion ends. Motion can be recorded for up to 120 seconds with the Auto setting, and recordings will vary in length. If you have a battery-powered device, click here.
You can change the recording length for these devices.
- Ring Video Doorbell Wired
- Ring Video Doorbell Pro
- Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2
- Ring Video Doorbell Elite
- Ring Floodlight Cam
- Ring Floodlight Cam Wired Pro
- Ring Floodlight Cam Wired Plus
- Ring Spotlight Cam Wired
- Ring Indoor Cam
Change video recording length
- In the Ring app, go to the menu and tap Devices.
- Tap the device you want to adjust, then tap Device Settings.
- Tap Video Settings.
- Tap Video Recording Length.
- To record for as long as motion is detected, choose Auto. The length of your recordings will vary with this setting.
- For a fixed-length time, disable Auto and choose 50, 60, 90, or 120 seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the default recording length for wired devices?
The default recording length is set to Auto, and the device will record for up to 120 seconds. Once motion stops, the device will stop recording. As a result, the length of each recording will vary. To set a fixed-length recording time, see the steps above.
If I change recording length for one device, does it change for all my devices?
No. Each of your device’s settings must be changed individually.
1Your Ring videos in the cloud are stored temporarily, up to 180 days. Changing your video storage time will only affect videos that are recorded after you adjust your storage time setting. Check Ring Protect Subscription Plans for more information.