The Ring Stick Up Cam is an extremely flexible next-generation security camera that can be used both indoors and outdoors to bolster the security around your home. One of the keys to its flexibility is that the Stick Up Cam has a variety of ways it can be powered including:
- Powered by the Quick-Release Battery Pack alone
- Powered by the Quick-Release Battery together with a Ring solar panel
- Powered by the Quick-Release Battery together with a DC power cable and adapter
- Powered by a DC cable and adapter alone
The other element of its flexibility is that the camera comes with a Dual Power Mode.
This article will explain what Dual Power Mode is and how to use it.
What is the Stick Up Cam's Dual Power Mode?
Dual Power Mode is a special feature of Ring's Stick Up Cam that allows you to select how your camera is being powered. By selecting Battery mode, you will use a different method of motion detection that helps to preserve battery life. By selecting Wired mode, you will get a more powerful (but more power-intensive) method of motion detection that would quickly drain a battery. By choosing the correct power mode, you can optimize your camera for the best motion detection for your situation.
Does the camera switch modes automatically? Do I have to switch power modes?
No. Your camera will not switch power modes automatically when changing the device's power supply. You also do not have to switch the power mode manually when changing the device's power supply. Be aware, however, that running Wired mode while powering the device with a battery will drain the battery very quickly.
How do I switch power modes?
To switch power modes, follow these instructions:
- Open the Ring app on your mobile device.
- Tap the three-lined icon on the upper left hand side fo the screen to open the side menu.
- Tap Settings
- Tap General Setting
- Tap Power Mode
- Tap Switch to Battery/Wired mode
- Confirm you wish to switch power modes.
Will switching power modes affect any of my settings?
Yes. Switching power modes will erase your motion settings. You will need to set them again in the motion settings controls.