Having issues with your Ring Alarm Contact Sensor (2nd generation)? Follow these steps to help resolve them.
What if my Contact Sensor (2nd generation) won’t connect?
Move the Contact Sensor closer to the Alarm or Alarm Pro Base Station. If this doesn’t work, you can try to add a Range Extender between the Contact Sensor and the Base Station. If this doesn’t help, try this:
Press the button on the front of the device.
- If it blinks green three times, it is ready to connect to the network.
- If it blinks green once, it is connected and communicating with your Base Station.
- If it blinks red once, it is unable to communicate with the Base Station.
What if I need to remove my Contact Sensor (2nd generation)?
- In the Ring app, tap Menu, then tap Devices, then tap Alarm or Alarm Pro Base Station, then tap the sensor you wish to remove.
- Tap Device Settings (gear icon), then tap Remove.
- Remove the cover from the device and remove the battery from the device.
- Wait a few seconds and then reinsert the battery.
- The app will let you know the device was removed. You can remove the battery from the sensor until ready to use again.
What if I am still having trouble connecting my Contact Sensor (2nd generation) or it adds as a Binary Sensor?
- Remove the back cover from the device.
- Remove the batteries from the device.
- In the Ring app, tap Menu, then tap Devices, then tap Alarm Base Station, then tap Base Station.
- Tap the Device Settings (gear icon), then tap Advanced Options, then tap Z-Wave, then tap Remove Z-Wave Device.
Note: Do not tap “Reset Z-Wave Network”. This will remove your entire Ring Alarm network and you’ll need to reset every device.
- Tap Remove and the app will say “Removing device, listening for device to remove.”
- Insert the batteries into the device. The device should be removed successfully and you may now set up the device.
If this still doesn’t work, you may need to factory reset the Contact Sensor.
How to factory reset your Contact Sensor (2nd generation)?
If you've tried all of the above steps and you're still having difficulty with your Contact Sensor, you can try to factory reset the device. Note: This will remove the device from your Alarm or Alarm Pro Base Station and reset the device to the original default settings.
- Remove the cover from the device.
- Press and hold the pinhole reset button using a paperclip or the included pinhole tool. The LED light will flash green.
- Continue holding down the pinhole reset button until the LED light turns red.
- Put the back cover back on the device.
If you have tried all of these steps and it still doesn’t work, we recommend reaching out to our support team for assistance.