The Ring Alarm Base Station is the center of your entire Ring Alarm security system.
You can only have one Base Station per location, but you can have multiple locations - up to 10 - on one Ring account.
Base Station Features:
- SIREN: The Ring Alarm Base Station has a 104 dB siren.
- BATTERY BACKUP: The Base Station has a 24-hour backup battery that will switch on when your power goes out.
- CELLULAR BACKUP: If you subscribe to a Ring Protect plan, your Base Station will also have cellular backup to protect your home even if the internet goes down.
- Z-WAVE & WORKS WITH RING: You can connect Works with Ring smart devices that use Z-Wave to your Ring Alarm Base Station.
- INTERNET ACCESS: You can connect your Base Station to the internet using wifi or Ethernet cable. (Note: You can't use both wifi and Ethernet at the same time, but you can change the connection at any time.)
Where should I install my Base Station?
You can install your Base Station almost anywhere.
- Place it on a flat surface or mount it on a wall (screws and anchors are not included).
- Make sure it’s in a spot that gets great wifi reception or near your router if you want to use an Ethernet connection.
- Install in an area where the siren is best heard throughout the location.
- Choose in a centralized location to improve Z-Wave network coverage in all directions.
- Make sure the spot you choose has cellular service, in case you want to subscribe to a compatible Ring Protect plan and take advantage of cellular backup.
Is there anywhere I should avoid using a Base Station?
- Don’t use it outdoors or in an environment with extreme temperatures or humidity
- Don’t use near corrosive chemicals
- Don’t use it with additional Base Stations. Only one Base Station can be used at each address.
- Avoid hiding it in a location where the siren won’t be heard if triggered, such as an attic or basement
How does battery backup work?
When your Ring Alarm loses power, the internal rechargeable battery will keep your Ring Alarm Base Station online for up to 24 hours. You may have some limited functionality while on battery backup, but you can still arm and disarm your Ring Alarm using the Keypad, and if there is a break-in, your siren will still sound. (Ring app access is only available with a Ring Protect subscription.)
How does Alarm Cellular Backup work?
A Ring Protect subscription with professional monitoring is required to have cellular backup.
When your internet goes down, your Ring Alarm will automatically switch over to cellular backup. You may have limited app functionality while your Base Station is on cellular backup, but you can still arm and disarm your Ring Alarm. If you have professional monitoring, cellular backup will ensure the signal get out.
How to setup and install a Base Station:
Before you begin, download the Ring - Always Home app and set up an account. Also make sure you have your wifi network name and password, or an ethernet cable. Finally, make sure your phone or tablet has Bluetooth enabled.
- Open the Ring app and tap Set Up a Device.
- Next, tap Alarm. If you have Alarm at another location, tap Security Devices.
- Select a location, or add a new one.
- Tap Base Station.
- Follow the in-app instructions to complete setup. When prompted, press the PAIRING button on the rear of your Base Station.
Note: The first time your Base Station connects to the internet, it will automatically begin a software update, which may take a few minutes. During the update, the light ring on your Base Station glows blue with a spinning yellow indicator. Once the ring is solid blue, the update is complete.
What if my Base Station won’t connect?
If you’re having difficulty setting up your Ring Alarm Base Station within the app, you can use these Base Station troubleshooting tips to help you resolve any issues.
How to check if my Base Station has a firmware update:
- In the Ring app, tap Menu, then tap Security, then tap Alarm Base Station, then tap Base Station.
- At the bottom of the screen tap on the blue banner “Tap here to manage device updates”
- Any devices with an available update will be listed at the top. Tap on the device you wish to update.
- Follow the in app instructions to complete the update.
Note: Firmware updates only take place when your Ring Alarm is disarmed.
Factory Reset your Base Station:
Do not attempt to factory reset your Ring Alarm Base Station without guidance and support from a trained Ring Customer Support expert. Please contact Ring Customer Support for assistance if you're having difficulty with your Ring Alarm.