Setting up your Steplight in the Ring app is simple. Simply scroll down for a step-by-step guide.
Before you begin:
- If there is an update available for your Ring app, please update it before you begin. Remind any shared users to update their app too. Updating the app ensures that everyone on your account will be able to see this new device.
- Be sure to install and set up your Bridge before installing and setting up your Smart Lights. You will need to have a Ring Bridge installed and set up in order to connect your Smart Lights to the Ring App and the rest of your Ring devices.
- Be sure to fully charge the included Lithium Ion battery before installing your Steplight. To precharge the light:
- Slide down and remove the mounting bracket to expose the battery compartment.
- Press the tab and lift up to remove the battery cover.
- Pull the orange battery pull tab to remove and connect the rechargeable battery.
- Plug in the included micro USB cord to the light and connect to a USB power supply (not included).
Step One - Select Set Up a Device
Open the side menu by tapping the three parallel lines in the upper left-hand corner of the Ring app.
- Tap “Set Up a Device.”
- Tap “Smart Lighting.”
- Select your location.
Step Two - Scan the QR Code on Your Device
- Turn over the Steplight and remove the mounting bracket by sliding it down and pulling away from the light.
- Use your mobile device to scan the QR code on the back of your Steplight.
- This code can also be found inside of the battery compartment or on the product packaging of your Steplight.
If your mobile device is not scanning the QR code, you can select “Set Up Without Scanning” and enter the five-digit PIN code underneath your device’s QR code to add your device.
Step Three - Remove the battery pull tab in Your Steplight
To access the battery compartment:
- Slide the mounting bracket down and pull away from the light to remove
- Press the tab on the battery cover and lift up to expose the battery.
- Remove the orange battery pull tab to connect the rechargeable battery
The light will blink twice when fully powered up. When this happens, press “Continue” in your Ring app.
Step Four - Add Your Steplight to a Light Group
Select the lights Group you’d like to add your Steplight to. If you’d like to create a new group that is not listed, you can select “Custom…”
Step Five - Name Your Steplight
Give your Steplight a specific name to distinguish it from the other Ring devices on your account.
Step Six - Replace the Battery Cover
Replace the battery cover and ensure it clicks into place.
Step Seven - Install your Steplight
- Use the mounting bracket to mark the mounting locations for two screws. Drive the included screws.
- If installing in masonry, use the mounting plate as a template to mark pilot holes, making sure the "up" arrow is pointing upward.
- Align the steplight with the mounting bracket and slide down into place.