You only need one battery for your Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus battery to work properly. However, if you want extended battery life or don't want to experience any downtime while charging the battery, a second battery is available for purchase.
How do I recharge the battery for my Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus?
Your Video Doorbell 3 Plus battery is charged using a common micro-USB cable (an orange one is included in your Ring box). The micro-USB cable can be plugged into any USB power source such as a computer. Your battery will take around five to 10 hours to fully charge depending on whether the USB cable is plugged into a USB port or into a wall outlet.
To charge your Video Doorbell 3 Plus battery:
- After you have removed the security screw on the bottom of the faceplate, remove the faceplate by pressing in on the sides and carefully pulling the faceplate out and off.
- Remove the battery by pressing the release tab.
- Connect the orange micro-USB charger to the charging port in the battery. During charging both the red and green lights will light up. Your battery is fully charged when the light on the battery shines a solid green.
- Slide the fully charged battery back into the Video Doorbell 3 Plus until it clicks in place.
- Place the faceplate back on by slotting it in at the top and clicking it into place.
- Your Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus will power up and be ready for use.
Note: You may see an incorrect battery discharge/reporting when setting up your Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus if the device is not fully charged before use.
Please charge the battery completely before setting up your device.
My battery is hardwired to my existing doorbell or connected to a solar charger, but according to the Ring app, my charge keeps falling to 90%. Why is this happening?
A hardwired Ring Video Doorbell does not actually use the power from the wire or the solar charger power to run its operations. It relies on the battery for that. The trickle charge the Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus gets from being hardwired or the solar charger is solely used to charge the battery. In order to maximize the lifetime of the battery, the Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus waits for the battery to hit below 90% before using the wired power to recharge the battery.