If you live in a home or small building with a security gate, the Ring Access Controller Pro can provide access through your gate for authorized visitors and Amazon deliveries by using the Key by Amazon app.
Beginning on 1/20/20 you will also be able to use the Ring app with your Ring Access Controller Pro.
This article answers common questions concerning the Ring Access Controller Pro.
What is the Ring Access Controller Pro?
The Ring Access Controller Pro is a smart access device that works with an existing electrical access control system that can be triggered via relay to grant access through your security gate with the Key by Amazon app or Ring App (Ring app access launches on 1/20/20). The Ring Access Controller Pro makes it easy for you to remotely unlock your gate to grant access to friends or Amazon delivery associates to deliver eligible packages.
Note: Activating Key by Amazon in-gate delivery will enable in-gate deliveries for all eligible packages brought to that address.
You must obtain any necessary permissions to enable in-gate deliveries for your address prior to activating such service.
How does the Ring Access Controller Pro work?
Once the Ring Access Controller Pro is professionally installed near a power outlet and your remote access panel, you can remotely unlock your security gate by using the Key by Amazon app. You can also turn on the Key for Gate delivery service to allow Amazon delivery agents one-time access to your security gate in order to drop off packages in a secure location.
Starting on 1/20/20, you can also unlock a gate through the Live View of a Ring video doorbell or camera in the Ring app.
Who is the Ring Access Controller Pro recommended for?
The Ring Access Controller Pro is designed for people with either of the following:
- Personal gated access to their home.
- Small buildings with multi-tenant housing such as an apartment building.
How do I know if my home can use the Ring Access Controller Pro?
In order to make use of the Ring Access Controller Pro, your home must have an existing electrical access control system that can be triggered via a relay in order to grant access.
Do I need any special wiring or Internet setup to use the Ring Access Controller Pro?
No. The Ring Access Controller Pro comes in two different versions that can be used based on your individual setup:
- The Ethernet model allows you to use your existing internet/ethernet infrastructure to run an Ethernet cable to the Ring Access Controller Pro.
- The cellular model comes with an AT&T SIM card to provide internet access to the device.
- AT&T cellular service for the Ring Access Controller Pro is provided at no additional cost.
Do I need any other Ring products to use the Ring Access Controller Pro?
If you want to use the Key by Amazon app to control your Ring Access Controller Pro or grant Key for Gate access then, no, you will not need any other Ring devices.
However, if you wish to use the Ring app to grant access through your security gate, you will need a Ring Video Doorbell or Ring camera.
If you do not have a Ring doorbell or camera, you will not be able to control the Ring Access Controller Pro through the Ring app.
Can I install the Ring Access Controller Pro by myself?
No. Prior wiring experience is important in making sure your Ring Controller Access Pro installation goes smoothly. A professional installer will also be better able to adhere to best installation practices and building codes.
We would therefore highly recommend engaging the services of a professional installer for your Ring Controller Access Pro installation. Amazon Home Services is fully qualified to install your device.
For questions regarding installing the Ring Access Pro Controller, please call:
+1 (888) 255-1041
Monday through Sunday 6 AM - 7 PM PST
What’s included with Pro-install services?
Installation of one (1) customer-supplied Ring Access Controller Pro.
Testing of the Ring Access Controller Pro through the Key by Amazon app.
A 90-day installation guarantee.
Do I need to do anything before my installation appointment?
- The Ring Access Controller Pro itself is not included in the appointment. The unit itself and all included contents should be purchased and readily available when the installer arrives.
- You must obtain any necessary permissions to install the device at your restricted access panel.
- When the installer arrives, you will need to show him or her where the restricted access panel is.
- Sign into the Key by Amazon app. This app lets you control connected locks and configure Key by Amazon gate Delivery for your Access Controller Pro.
- You must sign into the Key by Amazon app before installation begins so you can accept the terms and conditions and get ready for the installation.
Do I need to do something after my installation is complete?
- Force-quit and re-open the Key by Amazon app. Then you’ll see your new Access Controller Pro in the app, ready to use.
- Note: Amazon Delivery features may take seven to 10 days to turn on after installation.
- Set up the Ring App. You can also control certain Access Controller Pro functions without leaving the Ring app. To do this, you just need to set it up. Here’s how:
- Open the Ring App on your mobile device.
- Tap Set Up a Device.
- Tap Locks and Access Controllers.
- Tap Connect via Key by Amazon.
- Follow the in-app instructions to complete setup.
Will the the Ring Access Controller Pro interfere with my already existing restricted access panel?
No. the Ring Access Controller Pro will enhance your current system and give you the ease of opening your exterior gate via the Key for Amazon or Ring app from anywhere in the world.
My Ring Access Controller Pro has been installed but my Key by Amazon delivery system isn’t working yet. What’s going on?
It takes seven to 10 business days for Key by Amazon delivery to activate. Once ready, you will receive an email notifying you that all features and functionalities are ready to use. You should be able to use your Key app to control your gate immediately, however.
Will my existing Ring products work with Access Controller Pro?
You can use one Ring Video Doorbell or cam with Ring Access Controller Pro to control your gate from Live View in the Ring app. Customers who do not have Ring camera devices cannot use this device in the Ring app. You can also use the Key app to control your gate without Ring camera devices. You do not need a Ring Video Doorbell or cameral to use Key for Gate delivery services.
Note: At this time, there can only be one Ring device that is set up by linking it through the Key by Amazon app.