Learn how to set up a Ring device that currently appears to be registered to someone else.
You are the new owner who needs to set up a Ring device
- Follow the prompts (instructions) in the Ring app to Learn More About Device Transfers to request a transfer from the original/registered owner.
- If you don't see the prompts to initiate a transfer, make sure you have the latest version of the Ring app.
- If you can contact the previous owner, ask them to uninstall the device(s) from their Ring app and send a link to this article so they know what steps to follow.
- If you cannot contact the previous owner, we'll contact them on your behalf via email.
Once you initiate the process in the Ring app, you’ll receive email messages with status updates.
- The original/registered owner will get an email from Ring saying someone is attempting to take over their Ring device.
- The transfer process can take 15 days or more from the request date, depending upon what action is taken by the previous owner.
- If you re-attempt a setup before the device has been released from the previous owner, you’ll get a message saying the transfer has not been completed.
Contact Ring Community Support for help if you do not see the option to make a request (and have already checked for the latest version of the app) or if the previous owner is deceased.
You are the previous owner who needs to remove a Ring device
If you have deleted the Ring app from your mobile device, you need to download it again and log in with your Ring username and password.
- Open the Ring app and tap the three lines (≡) on the top left.
- Tap Devices.
- Tap the device that you want to release.
- Tap Device Settings.
- Tap General Settings.
- Tap Remove this Device on the bottom of the screen.
The device will immediately be available to a new owner. You can complete this process individually for all devices that you wish to release. We recommend completing this process if you move and leave your device behind.
If a relative/friend passed away and left a Ring device behind
There are certain legal requirements you will need to fulfill to transfer ownership of the account, devices, or if you would like to recover any stored video recordings. Please contact Ring Community Support for assistance.