How to Get Ownership of a Ring Device
If your trying to set up a Ring device in your Ring app and the device appears to be registered to another owner, there are two solutions:
1) If you are still in contact with the previous owner, you can ask them to uninstall the device(s).
You may want to forward a link to this page so that the previous owner knows the steps they need to take to release ownership.
2) If you have no way to contact the previous owner or the previous owner is deceased, please contact Ring Customer Support for help.
Note: The previous owner receives an email from Ring when there is an attempted set up, reminding them to release the device so a new owner can use it.
Moving: How to Remove a Ring Device from the Ring app, so a New Owner Can Use It
Remember to download any videos that you might want before you uninstall a device.
To release ownership of a Ring device if you're moving, giving away or selling your Ring device:
- Open the Ring app
- Tap the three lines on the top left
- Tap Devices
- Select the device you want to release from your ownership
- Tap Device Settings
- Tap General Settings
- Select Remove this Device
- The device will immediately be available to a new owner.
- Complete this process individually for all devices that you want to release.
- Complete this process even if the device is still installed on a home, such as a doorbell you're leaving behind after a home sale.
Note: Deleting the Ring app or canceling a Ring Protect Plan does not release ownership of a device. Ring devices need to be removed from the Ring app individually, using a simple step-by-step process in order to release ownership.
If Your Relative/Friend Passed Away and Left a Ring Device Behind
There are certain legal requirements you will need to fulfill in order to transfer ownership of the account, devices or if you would like to recover any stored video recordings. Contact Customer Support and our team members will walk you through the process.