If you're trying to set up a Ring doorbell or security camera in the Ring app and the device appears to be registered to someone else, there are several solutions:
1) If you have contact with the previous owner, you can ask them to uninstall the device(s) from their Ring app. Forward the link to this page so they know the proper steps they need to take to release the doorbell or security camera for setup.
2) If you have no way to contact the previous owner we'll contact them on your behalf via email.
When you go through the setup process in the Ring app, follow the prompts to request ownership. If you do not see the option to make a request, and you're sure you have the latest version of the app, please contact Ring Community Support for help.
3) If the previous owner is deceased, please contact Ring Community Support for help.
How to Remove a Ring Device from the Ring app, so a New Owner Can Use It
Remember to download any videos that you might want before you uninstall a device.
To release ownership of a Ring device if you're moving, gifting or selling your Ring device:
- Open the Ring app
- Tap the three lines on the top left
- Tap Devices
- Select the device you want to release from your ownership
- Tap Device Settings
- Tap General Settings
- Select Remove this Device
- The device will immediately be available to a new owner.
- Complete this process individually for all devices that you want to release.
- Complete this process even if the device is still installed on a home, such as a doorbell you're leaving behind after a home sale.
Note: Deleting the Ring app or canceling a Ring Protect Plan does not release ownership of a device. Ring devices need to be removed from the Ring app individually, using a simple step-by-step process in order to release ownership.
If Your Relative/Friend Passed Away and Left a Ring Device Behind
There are certain legal requirements you will need to fulfill in order to transfer ownership of the account, devices or if you would like to recover any stored video recordings. Contact Community Support and our team members will walk you through the process.