If you're trying to set up a Ring video doorbell or security camera in the Ring app and the device appears to be registered to someone else, use the suggestions below to get ownership.
1. If possible, try asking the previous owner to uninstall the device(s) from their Ring app. Send them a link to this article so they know what steps to follow.
- Ring devices must be removed in the Ring app. You cannot remove a device using ring.com.
- Canceling a Ring Protect plan, physically uninstalling a device or deleting the Ring app does not release ownership.
- If the Ring app was deleted by the previous owner, they must reinstall the Ring app and follow the step-by-step process below and remove the device in the Ring app.
2. If you have no way of contacting the previous owner, we'll contact them on your behalf via email.
3. When you go through the setup process in the Ring app, follow the prompts to request ownership. If you do not see the option to make a request (and have already checked for the latest version of the app), please contact Ring Community Support for help.
4. If the previous owner is deceased, please contact Ring Community Support for help.
Removing a Ring Device from the Ring App for New Owner Use
Remember to download any videos that you might want before you uninstall a device. If you need to learn how to download videos, use this link. Additionally, if you have deleted the Ring app from your mobile device, you need to download it again and log in with your Ring username and password.
To release ownership of a Ring device if you're moving, gifting, or selling your Ring device:
2. Tap the three lines (≡) on the top left corner of your Dashboard.
3. Tap Devices.
4. Select the device you want to release from your ownership.
5. Tap Device Settings.
6. Tap General Settings.
7. Select Remove this Device.
The device will immediately be available to a new owner. Complete this process individually for all devices that you want to release. We also recommend completing this process even if the device is still installed and left behind after a home sale.
If a Relative/Friend Passed Away and Left a Ring Device Behind
There are certain legal requirements you will need to fulfill in order to transfer ownership of the account, devices, or if you would like to recover any stored video recordings. Contact Community Support and our team members will walk you through the process.