As your home security system grows, you’ll be able to use Modes to control the behavior of your Cameras and Alarm. This article answers commonly asked questions about modes and teaches you how to use them to better control your system.
Note: The modes feature is slowly rolling out to all Ring accounts. Your Ring device may not yet have this feature. We appreciate your patience.
What are Modes?
Security Modes are selectable settings in the Ring app that can control the behavior of all of your Ring devices. It’s an expansion of the “Modes” concept used by Ring Alarm. The idea is to configure your cameras to protect your home in different ways, depending on your current needs. All of your devices (including Alarm) will then work as a single ecosystem with a single button tap.
These three different modes are available to control the state of your home:
- Disarmed: Select Disarmed Mode when you’re at home and want the freedom to go in and out of your house easily. You can, for example, turn off the motion detectors on all of your front yard cameras to avoid getting alerts while you’re at home.
- For Alarm users: When Disarmed, no Alarm sensors in your home will be armed and no alerts will be sent to the monitoring station, but the system will still be powered on and functioning. Fire and CO sensors (if they are attached to the system) will still be monitored.
- Home Mode: Select Home Mode when you want the outside cameras of your house activated but want to be able to move freely around the inside of your home.
- For Alarm Users: In Home mode, only certain sensors will be armed. You can control which sensors will be monitored in Home mode by visiting Mode Settings in the Ring app.
- Away Mode: Select Away Mode to fully secure your house when you leave. You can set all of your cameras, both inside and out, to record your home in this mode.
- For Alarm users: When Away Mode is turned on, all of your sensors will be armed and an alert will be issued if any of them detect a security issue. Note that you can also control which sensors will be monitored in Away mode by visiting Mode Settings in the Ring app.
Note: You are not forced to use any default setting as-is. Each part of these settings is customizable depending on your needs and preferences.
How do I configure Modes?
There is a global control that lets you configure all of your devices at once. To get to this control, follow these instructions:
- Open the Ring app.
- Tap the three-lined icon in the upper-right corner to open the side menu.
- Tap Mode Settings.
- Tap the mode you want to configure.
- Set how you want your devices to behave in that mode
Note: You can also disable modes completely using this control.
Each device also has mode controls that can be set individually, that can be accessed from the Device Dashboard.