If you have a Ring Alarm with compatible alarm sensors, you’re subscribed to a compatible Ring Protect plan, and enrolled in professional monitoring,1 our monitoring center is available 24/7.
We’ve worked with the monitoring center to create emergency response plans designed to protect your loved ones and keep your property safe while helping to reduce false alarms. These response plans determine when your emergency contacts are called and when we request emergency responder dispatch to your monitored property.
Burglar Alarm response plan
How is the Burglar Alarm Triggered?
It is triggered by a Contact Sensor, Motion Detector, or Glass Break Sensor2 when Ring Alarm is armed in Home or Away Mode.
Burglar Response Plan
When the burglar alarm signal is received, the monitoring center will first attempt to call all emergency contacts.
- If no one can be reached, then the monitoring center will request police dispatch.
- If all contacts answer the phone, but none can remember the verbal password, police dispatch is requested.
- If any contact answers the phone, and asks for help, the monitoring center will request police dispatch.
Canceling a Burglar Alarm
- If you disarm Ring Alarm in time, the burglar alarm will be canceled (If the confirmation call feature is enabled within the Ring app, you will receive an automated call confirming the cancellation).
- If any emergency contact answers the phone and correctly says the verbal password, they can tell the monitoring center agent to cancel the alarm.
Smoke Alarm Response Plan
How is the Smoke Alarm Triggered?
Smoke alarm signals can be sent by the First Alert Smoke and CO Detector2 or the Ring Alarm Smoke & CO Listener1 2 when Ring Alarm is Armed in Home or Away mode or Disarmed.
Smoke Alarm Response Plan
When your compatible smoke alarm or Smoke & CO Listener1 2 trips the Ring Alarm in your home, a signal is sent to the monitoring center. The monitoring center will attempt to contact your first emergency contact. If no one answers, the monitoring center will request fire dispatch. Then the monitoring center will attempt to call the emergency contacts to notify them that the fire department has been dispatched.
Canceling the Smoke Alarm
You can cancel a smoke alarm by answering the first monitoring center call, by disarming your Ring Alarm Keypad, or from the Ring app.
If you cancel using the Keypad or the Ring App, your emergency contacts will still receive a call from the Ring Monitoring Center at 833-209-2159 to confirm that you intended to cancel a false alarm.
From the Monitoring Center call:
- Answer the call from the Ring Monitoring Center.
- Confirm you are at the location.
- Request to cancel the smoke alarm.
From the Ring Alarm Keypad:
- Enter your user code.
- Press the Disarm button.
From the Ring app:
- Tap the Disarm button from the alarm pop-up in the Ring app.
- Tap Request Cancel* when asked to confirm you are at the location.
*Ring Alarm Keypad and In-app Fire Alarm response cancellation is not guaranteed and may still result in emergency response arriving at your location.
Tap to learn more about Smoke Alarm response.
Panic Alarm3 Response Plan
How is a Panic Alarm Triggered?
It is triggered by pressing and holding X and ✓ on the Keypad (1st Generation), pressing the police button on the Keypad (2nd Generation), or pressing the Panic Button when Ring Alarm Armed in Home or Away mode or Disarmed.
Panic Response Plan
When a panic alarm signal is received, the monitoring center will only call your first emergency contact:
- If the first emergency contact answers the call and confirms the emergency or asks for help, police dispatch is requested.
- If the first emergency contact answers the call and gives the wrong verbal password, police dispatch is requested.
- If the first emergency contact doesn’t answer the call, police dispatch is requested.
Canceling the Panic alarm
If the first emergency contact answers the phone and says the correct verbal password, the contact can cancel the Panic alarm.
Duress Alarm response plan
How is duress triggered?
It is triggered by entering the Duress code on the Keypad when Ring Alarm is Armed in Home or Away mode or Disarmed.
Duress response plan
When the Duress code is used, the siren does not sound and there is no indication that an alarm signal has been sent. The monitoring center will immediately request police dispatch. Your emergency contacts will not be called.
A Duress Alarm cannot be canceled. Learn more about the Duress code.
SOS Alarm Response Plan
How is SOS triggered?
SOS signals for Police, Fire, or Medical response3 are triggered by tapping the SOS button in the Ring app when Ring Alarm is Armed in Home or Away mode or Disarmed.
When you trigger SOS in the Ring app, we send a signal to request police, fire, or medical response3 to your address on the account. The monitoring center will call your first emergency contact. If no one answers, the monitoring center will request police, fire dispatch or medical response depending on your selection.
Camera and Doorbell Users
When you trigger SOS in the Ring app, we send a signal to request police, fire, or medical response to your verified address on the account.
- If you requested fire or medical dispatch, our monitoring center will call every emergency contact; if nobody answers the call, we will request dispatch.
- If you requested police, our monitoring center will call all of your emergency contacts; if nobody answers the calls, we will not request dispatch.
How to cancel an SOS alarm
You can only cancel an SOS alarm by answering the first call from our monitoring center. If the first call is not answered, the monitoring center will call your first emergency contact.
Alarm – only first call can cancel.
Camera – call all contacts (emergency contact can cancel)
- For fire and medical dispatch, your first emergency contact won’t need to verify the verbal password to cancel.
- For police request specifically, your first emergency contact must correctly say the verbal password to cancel the SOS alarm.
- For all scenarios, it cannot be canceled within the app.
Doorbell and camera users: you may choose to set a verbal password when you enroll in SOS for cameras.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarm response plan
How is the CO alarm triggered?
It is triggered by the First Alert Smoke and CO Detector or the Ring Alarm Smoke & CO Listener1 2 when Ring Alarm is Armed in Home or Away mode or Disarmed.
CO Alarm Response Plan
When a compatible carbon monoxide alarm or Smoke & CO Listener1 2 trips your Ring Alarm, a CO signal is sent to the monitoring center. The monitoring center will immediately request a fire response and then call your emergency contacts to inform them that the fire department has been dispatched.
CO Alarms Cannot Be Canceled.
Flood and Freeze Alarm response plan
How is the Flood or Freeze Alarm triggered?
It can be triggered when the Ring Alarm Flood & Freeze sensor detects water or freezing temperatures when Ring Alarm is Armed in Home or Away mode or Disarmed.
Flood & Freeze response plan
There is no dispatch available for this sensor. If water or freezing temperature is detected, there are a variety of alerts and automated calls that you can optionally toggle on or off.
Canceling Flood & Freeze Alerts
All notifications (including automated calls, spoken alerts, and emails) can be canceled within the app. There is no dispatch option.
More information about Flood & Freeze Sensor automated calls.
Learn how to adjust chirp tones.
To discuss alarm details with a monitoring center agent or cancel, you and your emergency contacts must say your verbal password accurately in order to verify the caller's identity. Request for dispatch does not require the verbal password and can be requested by answering the monitoring center's call.
This information is for neighbors in the US and Canada (excluding Quebec) with Ring Alarm and a compatible Ring Protect subscription or trial who have enrolled in professional monitoring.1
1 A compatible Ring Protect subscription is required to enroll in the Ring Alarm professional monitoring service. Professional monitoring service is available only within the U.S. (all 50 states, but not U.S. territories) and in Canada (excluding Quebec). Ring does not own its own professional monitoring center. Smoke and carbon monoxide monitoring is not available for commercial properties. See Ring Alarm licenses at: https://www.ring.com/licenses.
2 Requires a device that is not included in the Ring Alarm or Ring Alarm Pro Kit.
3 Ring Alarm and compatible alarm sensors, a compatible Ring Protect Plan, and professional monitoring enrollment is required for emergency dispatch request. Additional permit or false alarm fees may apply depending on your local jurisdiction.