Your verbal password is a code word or a number that you created when you signed up for professional monitoring. In an emergency, your verbal password is used by the monitoring center to confirm the identity of the person answering the phone.
Who do I need to share my verbal password with?
All of your emergency contacts will have to remember and recite your verbal password when the monitoring center calls.
When your Ring Alarm is triggered, the monitoring center will call your emergency contacts one at a time. When the call is answered, the monitoring center agent will introduce themselves and ask for the verbal password in order to confirm that they are speaking to someone you trust.
- If you use a landline as an emergency contact phone number, give the verbal password to any trusted individual who might be likely to answer the phone if you’re not around.
- If your cell phone might be answered by family members, roommates, or employees who you trust in an emergency, you should share the verbal password with them too.
- If you change your emergency contacts, don’t forget to provide the new emergency contacts with your verbal password.
Why do I need to remember the verbal password?
If you or any of your emergency contacts forget your verbal password, the monitoring center cannot share details about your emergency or follow their instructions. If the alarm is triggered accidentally and the monitoring center calls, the emergency contact will not be able to cancel the alarm.
What if I forget my verbal password?
If you forget your verbal password, you can’t cancel a false alarm. The monitoring center won’t tell you if the verbal password you provide is incorrect, but they will attempt to call other contacts and dispatch services as needed. This may lead to false alarm fees which add up over time.
How do I create my verbal password?
You will be prompted to create a verbal password when you sign up for professional monitoring. If you forget your verbal password, you can change it anytime.
How do I change my verbal password?
Using the app:
- Open the app and tap on the menu (three lines in the upper left corner)
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Monitoring.
- Tap Reset Verbal Password and follow the directions.
- Click here and log in to your account.
- Hover over your name in the upper right corner, then tap Settings.
- Tap Monitoring.
- Tap Verbal Password and follow the directions.
Enter your new verbal password, then tap Save.
Please Note: Whenever you change your verbal password, you will need to share the new password with your emergency contacts.
We recommend checking in with your emergency contacts every month or two to confirm that they remember your verbal password.
(Verbal passwords are only required for neighbors with Ring Alarm and professional monitoring.)