While batteries in Ring Smart Lights will last for months with normal use, this is dependent on a number of factors. This article will detail some of the factors that may cause your batteries to drain faster.
At temperatures below 40F, battery chemistry changes and puts out less energy. Battery performance returns to normal once the weather warms up and remains above freezing. Click here for more information on battery life and cold weather.
The more motion events are triggered by your Ring Smart Lights, the more your battery is used to power the device. If your device is reacting to an excessive number of events each day, you may find that your batteries drain faster than expected.
To prevent excessive activity, you can take the following actions.
- Adjust your motion settings to a lower sensitivity.
- Disable certain products during specific hours of the day.
- Change Smart Alerts to Standard or Light.
- Adjust the direction of your Ring product.
Tips and Tricks
The following tips and tricks will help you use the light and motion sensors on your device to maximize battery life and reduce the number of unwanted motion alerts.
For longest battery life:
- Set Light Sensors to 0 or 1 so that the lights only turn on if it is very dark.
- Reduce the brightness to the lowest setting.
- Set Group Auto shutoff time to 30 seconds.
- We strongly recommend using name-brand batteries such as Amazon Basics, Duracell, or Energizer.
- Always use batteries of the same brand that were fresh together.
To reduce the number of motion triggers:
- Only enable motion on the lights that are accurately detecting motion, and let those lead lights activate the whole group. This will extend battery life as well as reduce notifications.
- Avoid pointing lights toward potential heat source or moving object. Heat sources and waving objects such as wind chimes might trigger motion.
To reduce daytime activations:
- Set Light Sensors on devices to a low setting so the lights only turn on in the dark.
- For Linked Device triggers, set a time window that closely mimics darkness outside.
- When creating the link for a device to trigger the lights on Spotlight Cam, Floodlight Cam or another group, consider making the time schedule available later in the night to earlier in the morning.