When seconds count, neighbors signed up for professional monitoring through the Ring Protect Plus Plan can use the always available SOS button to request immediate assistance from both the app dashboard and Live View.
This article will answer commonly asked questions concerning the SOS button in the Ring app.
What is the SOS button?
The SOS button is an icon within the Ring app that offers those with professional monitoring an additional way to request immediate assistance in an emergency situation. The SOS button is a shield-shaped icon on both the app dashboard and within the Live View that, when tapped, allows you to:
- Request immediate police, fire department, or medical response to your location in an emergency.
- Sound the siren as a deterrent if you see any suspicious activity, without requesting dispatch
What happens when I use the SOS button?
When you tap the SOS button and slide one of the emergency request sliders, it will send an immediate signal to the monitoring center requesting dispatch of local authorities. If you request Police or Fire, it will also sound the siren on your Ring Alarm Base Station and Keypad. If you request Medical response, the Ring Alarm Base Station will announce that the signal has been sent, and when Medical response has been requested.
The monitoring center will call your first emergency contact, and if the call is answered, the contact can either confirm the emergency or cancel the request. If no one answers, the monitoring center will dispatch the police, the fire department, or emergency medical services, depending on which SOS slider you selected. After requesting emergency help, the monitoring center will call your other emergency contacts.
Please note that an SOS signal can only be canceled by answering the first call. If the call is not answered, canceling SOS using the app will not cancel the request for police, fire, or medical responders.
How do I use the SOS button?
If you have professional monitoring, here’s how to use the SOS button:
- From the dashboard or Live View, tap the red SOS icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- To request help, slide the police, fire, or medical icon across the screen.
- To sound the siren, tap the blue Sound Siren Only button.
- The screen will display a five-second countdown. You can cancel the request for help within these 5 seconds.
- After five seconds, the Ring Alarm siren will sound. If you requested Medical response, the Base Station will announce the signal and when help has been requested. The app screen displays a message notifying you that help has been requested.
If I use the SOS button can I then cancel the emergency dispatch?
Yes. While SOS is intended to be used only in true emergencies, you have five seconds to cancel. After the request for immediate dispatch has been sent, if your first emergency contact answers the monitoring center call, they can cancel.
Can I use the SOS button if I only have the Ring Protect Basic plan or if I am self-monitored?
No. The SOS button functionality is only available to neighbors who have signed up for the Ring Protect Plus Plan.
Professional monitoring licenses are available at: ring.com/licenses.