Common door dimensions
The first thing to check when making sure you can install a Peephole Cam (Door View Cam) are the dimensions and potential obstructions on the door itself. The diagram below will show you the common door dimensions for which a Peephole Cam (Door View Cam) is engineered.
Specifications and installation tips
- The back portion of the Peephole Cam (Door View Cam) is 4.4 inches (112 mm) in height - larger than the front.
- The back portion of the Peephole Cam (Door View Cam) is 3.2 inches (81 mm) from the bottom of the peephole to the bottom of the unit. When checking your door, make sure the back of the door is clear of obstructions such as a mail slot or old doorbells within that area.
- The Peephole Cam (Door View Cam) can only be installed on doors that range from 1.3 - 2.2 inches (34 mm to 55 mm) in width. Do not attempt to install Peephole Cam (Door View Cam) on doors thinner or thicker than that size.
The most common peepholes are simple barrel designs that are designed for easy installation. The most important characteristic to look for on a door with a barrel design is the notch on the rim of the inside portion of the peephole. That means that the peephole can be easily uninstalled to install the Peephole Cam (Door View Cam).
These kinds of peepholes are illustrated below:
There are two important characteristics to look for when dealing with an unusual peephole.
- A peephole set into some type of door decoration such as a door knocker.
- A peephole design without the notches.
In both cases, you'll need extra tools to install Peephole Cam (Door View Cam). Please consult the manufacturer of your peephole for instructions on how to remove it.