Setting up your Ring Peephole Cam in the Ring app is a simple process. Scroll down for a step-by-step guide.
Step One - Download the Ring App
To download the Ring app:
- On your mobile device, go to the App Store (for iOS devices) or the Play Store (for Android devices)
- Download and install the Ring app on your mobile device
Or visit ring.com/app on your mobile device.
Step Two - Create or Log in to Your Account
If this is your first Ring product, you will be asked to set up an account.
To set up an account:
- Open the Ring app.
- Select “Create Account.”
- Follow the in-app instructions to create a new account.
If you already have another Ring device installed, simply open the Ring app.
Step Three - Tap “Set Up a Device”
Tap Set Up a Device, then select Doorbells.
Step Four - Scan the QR code or MAC ID barcode on your Ring device
The QR code or MAC ID can be found on your Ring Peephole Cam.
- Point the camera on your smartphone at the QR code or MAC ID barcode on your Ring Peephole Cam.
- This code can also be found on the product packaging or on the Quick Start Guide that came with your device.
- Center the code in the phone camera’s view at the top of the screen.
- Once the code is recognized, a green square (for QR code) or a green line (MAC ID barcode) will appear, and the setup will proceed to the next step.
Note: The MAC ID is located on the indoor module and is on the side that faces against door. Once the device is installed the MAC ID will not be visible. There is another MAC ID, however, on the back of the device that will be visible once the device is installed.
Note: If you experience issues with scanning the QR code or MAC ID barcode, you can select “Set Up Without Scanning” and select “Ring Peephole Cam” to continue through the setup process.
Step Five - Specify Your Location
If this is your first time setting up a Ring device, you will receive a request from your phone informing you that the Ring app wishes to use your phone’s location services to pinpoint your location. Allowing the app to do so will assist with inputting your address.
Enter your address information into the app, then confirm it.
If you have established a location previously, you can select it from the list of your locations.
Step Six - Name Your Device
Select a specific name for your Ring Peephole Cam to distinguish it from other Ring devices on your account. You can choose one of the default names that are suggested, or you can enter your own by selecting “Custom…” at the bottom of the list.
Step Seven - Put your Peephole Cam into Setup Mode
Press and release the button on the indoor portion of your Ring Peephole Cam. Then tap the “Continue” button in your Ring app.
Step Eight - Connect to Your Ring Device
The Ring wifi network is a temporary access point that you join briefly during the setup of a Ring device. After you connect to the temporary Ring wifi network, you will connect to your own home wifi network. Then, you are no longer connected to the Ring network. Your smartphone may generate a message that says "no internet connection" or similar verbiage in the settings. This is not a cause for concern. You can safely join the temporary Ring wifi network access point and complete your setup.
iOS: Tap Join when the Ring app asks to join the Ring wifi network.
Android: Your device should automatically connect to the Ring wifi network.
If your device does not automatically connect to the Ring wifi network, or if you chose to continue without scanning in step four, please follow the steps below:
- Press the home button on your phone to leave the Ring app.
- Navigate to the Settings app, then tap wifi.
- On Android, you may need to navigate to Connection then wifi.
- Select the Ring wifi network from the list of available networks. The network will appear as either:
- Ring- followed by the last six digits of the MAC ID.
- Ring Setup followed by the last two digits of the MAC ID.
- Once connected, close your Settings app and return to the Ring app.
Step Nine - Connect Your Ring Peephole Cam to Your Wifi
Be sure you’re near your router and have your wifi password ready.
- Select your wifi network
- If you have more than one wifi network, select the network closest to where you will be installing your Ring Peephole Cam.
- Enter your wifi password and press Continue.
Note: After connecting to your wifi network, the LED lights may flash on your Ring Peephole Cam while it updates its internal software. Once the update is complete you can continue the setup. Please do not attempt to ring the Peephole Cam at this time, as it will further delay the update.
Step Ten - Test Your Device
Once your Ring Peephole Cam has completed its update and setup, push the front button to complete a test call. This will ensure your Peephole Cam is ready to function.