When seconds count, neighbors enrolled in SOS for cameras or Alarm professional monitoring* can use the SOS button in the Ring app dashboard and camera Live View to request emergency assistance. A siren will sound from your Ring Alarm (if applicable) and fire, medical, or police dispatch will be requested to your device’s location.
What is the SOS button?
The SOS button is an icon within the Ring app that offers an additional way to request immediate assistance to your Ring Alarm or camera’s location in an emergency. The SOS button is a shield-shaped icon on both the app dashboard and within the Live View that, when tapped, allows you to:
- Request immediate police, fire department, or medical dispatch to your device’s location in an emergency. You must have a Ring Protect Pro subscription** (sold separately) and be enrolled in professional monitoring* (for Ring Alarm users) or SOS for cameras to request assistance.
- Sound the siren (requires a Ring Alarm or Alarm Pro Base Station) as a deterrent if you see any suspicious activity, without requesting dispatch. (Note: If you are a camera-only user, a siren does not sound. You must also have a Ring Alarm that has been set to link your compatible cameras to siren when the Base Station sirens.)
Can I Use the SOS Button With My Ring Device(s)?
You can use the SOS button if you have:
- a Ring Alarm or Alarm Pro with a Protect Pro subscription (sold separately) and you’re enrolled in professional monitoring* (for Ring Alarm users). Neighbors who are self monitoring their alarm won’t have access to the SOS button.
- a Ring camera with a Protect Pro subscription and you are enrolled in SOS for cameras. You must be enrolled in SOS for cameras to use the feature with compatible cameras and doorbells.
What Happens When I Use the SOS Button?
When you tap the SOS button and slide one of the emergency request sliders, it will send an immediate signal to the monitoring center and request dispatch of local authorities to your device's location. If you request Police or Fire, it will also sound the siren on your Ring Alarm Base Station and Keypad.*** The monitoring center will call your first emergency contact, and if the call is answered, the contact can either confirm the emergency or cancel the request.
If no one answers, the monitoring center will dispatch the police, the fire department, or emergency medical services to the Ring Alarm location, depending on which SOS slider you selected. After requesting emergency help, the monitoring center will call your other emergency contacts.
IMPORTANT: An SOS signal can only be canceled by answering the first call. If the call is not answered, canceling SOS using the app will not cancel the request for police, fire, or medical responders.
Note: Doorbell and camera users, your verbal password requirement may vary depending on your preferences when you enrolled in SOS.
How Do I Use the SOS Button?
- From the dashboard or Live View, tap the red SOS icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- To request police or fire dispatch, slide the police, fire, or medical icon across the screen.
- To sound the siren, tap the blue Sound Siren Only button.
- The screen will display a 5-second countdown. You can cancel the request for help within these 5 seconds.
- After 5 seconds, the Ring Alarm siren will sound. The screen displays a message notifying you that help has been requested.
If I Use the SOS Button Can I Then Cancel the Emergency Dispatch?
While SOS should only be used in an emergency, you have 5 seconds to cancel. After the request for dispatch has been sent, if your first emergency contact answers the monitoring center call, they can cancel.
Can I Use The SOS Button If I Have a Protect Basic Or Plus Plan, or If My Alarm Is Self-Monitored?
No. The SOS button functionality is only available to neighbors who have signed up for a Ring Protect Pro subscription. For Alarm users, you must be signed up for professional monitoring.* For camera-only users, you must be enrolled in SOS for cameras. Click here to learn more about Ring Protect features by plan.
* A compatible Ring Protect subscription is required to enroll in the Ring Alarm professional monitoring service. Professional monitoring service is available only within the U.S. (all 50 states, but not U.S. territories) and in Canada (excluding Quebec). Ring does not own its own professional monitoring center. Smoke and carbon monoxide monitoring is not available for a business or commercially zoned address. See Ring alarm licenses at: ring.com/licenses. Additional permit or false alarm fees may apply depending on your local jurisdiction. Additional charges may apply in areas that require permits or guard response service for alarm verification.
** See Ring Protect Subscription Plans for more information.
*** Requires the Ring Alarm Security Kit.