The local law enforcement agency in your area may occasionally request video footage from Ring users in order to help with an investigation. Ring helps these law enforcement agencies connect with Ring users by sending an email on their behalf. We’re simply here to connect our users with law enforcement to help them resolve cases.
Why did I receive this email?
Receiving this email suggests you may be in a position to assist law enforcement with an investigation. Ring has not shared any information about you, or any recordings that you may have with law enforcement. In addition, Ring has not informed law enforcement that you received this email. These emails always come from email@example.com and include a link to this article at the footer. These details will help you identify an authentic Ring email. Note that if you respond to the email, a Ring Team Member will reply back.
Do I have to share all my video recordings?
Sharing your recordings is completely voluntary and you can choose which ones you want to share, if any. You’ll have five options:
- Share All Video Recordings
- Click the button to share all recordings that fall within the timeframe and day specified in the email without reviewing the recordings first.
- Review Videos
- Allows you to review all the recordings that fall within the timeframe and day specified in the email. You’ll have the option to select specific videos that you want to share.
- Don’t Share
- Choose to not share your videos with Law Enforcement. Your identity and information will stay anonymous.
- Click the unsubscribe link to opt-out of any future email requests.
- Do Nothing
- If you do not do anything, no recordings will be shared. Your identity and information will stay anonymous. You may continue to receive emails of this nature in the future, unless you unsubscribe.
What information gets shared with Law Enforcement?
None of your personal information is shared with law enforcement unless you choose to share your recordings. Should you choose to share your recordings, the recordings, street address, and email address associated with your account will be shared with the law enforcement officer who requested the recordings. Your local law enforcement agency may use the provided personal information to reach out to you about a case.
When will I receive these emails?
Emails will only be sent to residents within the immediate area identified as most relevant for a particular law enforcement request.
What if I don’t want to receive these emails?
You can click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email to be removed from the email list. Once unsubscribed, you will not receive any email requests for recordings in the future.
How do I get more information?
Ring does not have access to details of a case. If you want to know more about a specific case or have additional information to share, we recommend you reach out to the local law enforcement agency listed in the email.