Setting up your Steplight in the Ring app is simple. Simply scroll down for a step-by-step guide.
Before you begin:
- Be sure to install and set up your Bridge before installing and setting up your Smart Lights. You will need to have a Ring Bridge installed and set up in order to connect your Smart Lights to the Ring App and the rest of your Ring devices.
- If there is an update available for your Ring App, please update it before you begin. Remind any shared users to update their app too. Updating the app ensures that everyone on your account will be able to see this new device.
Step One - Select Set Up a Device
Open the side menu by tapping the three parallel lines in the upper left-hand corner of the Ring app.
- Tap “Set Up a Device.”
- Tap “Smart Lighting.”
- Select your location.
Step Two - Scan the QR Code on Your Device
- Turn over the Steplight
- Use your mobile device to scan the QR code on the back of your Steplight.
- This code can also be found inside of the battery compartment or on the product packaging of your Steplight.
If your mobile device is not scanning the QR code, you can select “Set Up Without Scanning” and enter the five-digit PIN code underneath your device’s QR code to add your device.
Step Three - Insert Batteries into Your Steplight
To access the battery compartment:
- Pull the light up and away from its base.
- Remove the two screws from the rear.
- Pull off the cover.
Insert three C Cell batteries, matching the flat ends with the springs.
The light will blink twice when fully powered up. When this happens, press “Continue” in your Ring app.
Step Four - Add Your Steplight to a Light Group
Select the lights Group you’d like to add your Steplight to. If you’d like to create a new group that is not listed, you can select “Custom…”
Step Five - Name Your Steplight
Give your Steplight a specific name to distinguish it from the other Ring devices on your account.
Step Six - Attach the Lid
- Push the lid back onto your Steplight, and secure it with the screws you removed earlier.
- If installing on a masonry surface, use the guide in the instruction manual to mark the mounting surface below each arrow.
- Drill the pilot holes.
- Insert the anchors.
Step Seven - Insert the Screws
Drive the two mounting screws, leaving about 1/4 inch exposed.
Step Eight - Mount the Steplight
Place your Steplight over the mounting screws and slide downward to lock it into place.