One of the most important measurements in your Ring security network is the strength of your wifi signal. Since every element of your system uses wifi to communicate with every other element of your system, it’s important to get as strong a signal as possible. You can run a connectivity test when you set up a new device to check the strength of your signal.
Read the following article to learn more about running a connectivity test.
Slow Internet Upload and Download Speeds
"Internet speed" in this context of your Ring devices is the measure of how fast your wireless network uploads and downloads data. If either or both of those functions are too slow, your Ring app won't be able to process data from your Ring devices fast enough. That's why it's important to test your internet speed in the area around your Ring device.
To test your internet speed, do the following:
- Bring your mobile device to the area where your Ring device is installed.
- Open a Web browser on your mobile device and go to Bandwidth Place.
- Click on the Start button in the center of the gauge to start the test.
- After the test is done, look at the small table under the gauge. The green number in the first column is the download speed. The blue number in the second column is the upload speed.
As a general rule, most Ring devices function best when upload and download speeds are around 2 Mbps or greater. If your speeds are much slower than that, you might try moving your router closer to your Ring device or (if necessary) calling your internet service provider to discuss getting faster internet speeds.
Poor Connection Between Your Router and Your Ring device
If your internet speeds are good, you may still have an issue with the strength of the signal between your router and the Ring device. Signal strength is just as important as speed when it comes to transmitting a video image from your Ring device to your Ring app.
To check the strength of your wifi signal, do the following:
- Open your Ring app
- Tap on the three lines on the top left of the screen
- Select Devices
- Tap on the Ring device you would like to test
- Tap on the Device Health tile
- On the Device Health screen, look at your Signal Strength under the Network section.
If your signal is poor or very poor, this can be caused by the distance between the router and your Ring device, the layout of your home, or interference caused by other devices (TV's, game systems, etc.) or materials in your home such as stucco, brick, metal, large mirrors or glass doors.
More Wifi Resources
If you are having wifi trouble, the following Help Center articles will help you understand more about wifi and offer possible solutions:
Understanding RSSI Values and Wireless Signal Strength