Neighbors who have compatible smart locks integrated into their Ring Alarm will be able to lock and unlock their smart locks with a simple Alexa command. This article will help you set up and control your smart locks with Alexa.
Connecting your smart locks to your Alexa
Before you can control your smart locks through Alexa, you’ll need to do two things:
- Download the Alexa app onto your mobile device.
- Be sure that you’ve connected your smart locks to your Ring Alarm.
- Click here for more information on adding smart lock devices into your Ring Alarm System.
Once you have completed both of those things, you can connect your Ring Alarm and your smart locks to Alexa by following these instructions:
- Open the Alexa app.
- In the upper lefthand corner, you'll see three horizontal bars. Tap them.
- In the menu that appears, tap Skills.
- On the next screen, search for Ring in the search box.
- After you've found Ring, tap the "enable" button.
- Next, Alexa will ask you to sign into your Ring account. Doing so will link your Ring account to your Alexa account.
- After signing in, you'll be asked to discover devices. Tap the Discover Devices button. All of your Ring devices should appear and be connected to Alexa automatically. If you don't want Alexa to integrate with a particular Ring device, simply tap Forget on the right side.
If none of your Ring devices appear automatically, you can either:
- Ask, "Alexa, discover my devices."
- Tap Devices.
- Tap Discover
All of your Ring devices should appear and connect automatically to Alexa with either method.
Controlling your smart locks with Alexa
Once your smart lock is connected through your Alarm to Alexa, controlling the locks is as simple as talking to Alexa through your Echo device or the Alexa App.
To lock and unlock a smart lock:
“Alexa, please lock (unlock) (lock name).”
Once locked (or unlocked) Alexa will respond with:
“The (lock name) is locked (unlocked).”
If there is an issue with the smart lock, Alexa will respond:
“I’m not sure (lock name) is locked, because it’s jammed.”
If you want to know that status of a smart lock, ask Alexa:
“Alexa, is the (lock name) locked (unlocked)?” and Alexa will respond appropriately.
Can I track when smart locks are locked and unlocked?
Yes. Locking or unlocking a smart lock will be registered as an event in the Device History screen in your Ring app.