One of the most important pieces of information you'll need to use when working with your Alarm is your four digit access code. This article will explain what an access code is, how to create one, change one, and give one to others when providing access to your system.
What is an Access Code?
An access code is a unique four-digit number that's assigned to a particular individual and is used to arm and disarm the Alarm system from the Keypad. Individuals must enter their access code and then press Home, Away, or Disarm to change modes using the Keypad. Every individual granted access to the Alarm system, whether as an Owner or a Shared User, must have their own unique four-digit access code.
Note: Access Codes are never revealed in the Ring App, so if a Shared User or Guest User forgets his or her access code, he or she will need to ask the Owner to reset the code.
Creating an Owner's Access Code
Creating an Owner's access code is a two-step process.
- The Alarm Owner must first set up their Alarm Base Station. Use this link to find out how to set up your base station.
- Once the Base Station is set up, the Owner must attach their devices to the Base Station - specifically their Keypad. To add your Keypad to your Base Station, simply plug in your keypad and it will automatically add itself to the Base Station.
Once your Keypad is set up, you will be prompted to create a four-digit Owner's access code. Note that you will need to enter your new access code twice before saving.
Setting up a Shared and Guest User's Access Code
Shared Users and Guest Users are invited to the Alarm system on behalf of the Owner. In order to add a Shared User do the following:
- In the Ring app, open the menu.
- Make sure you’re on the right Location setting, Shared Access.
- Tap the Add User.
- Select the type of user you'd like to add.
How to Add a Shared User
- If adding a Shared User, enter the email address of the person you wish to extend an invitation to (each User must have a separate email address.)
- Select Alarm Base Station.
- Enter a unique four-digit access code.
- Note that you will need to enter your new access code twice before saving.
- Tap Done.
- Tap Send Invite.
- Note: If a User already has a Ring account, they will automatically show up as a Shared User.
- Note: If the potential Shared User does not have a Ring account, they will receive an invitation to create an account.
How to Add a Guest User
- If adding a Guest User, enter their name.
- Tap Create Access Code.
- Enter a unique four-digit access code. Note that you will need to enter your new access code twice before saving.
- Tap Done.
- Confirm Security System is selected by default.
- Tap Add Guest User.
- Once the Shared User or Guest User has been added, the code must be shared with the new user verbally.
Changing or Resetting an Access Code
Although all Users can have access codes, an Owner is the only user who can edit or change an access code.To change or Reset an access code:
- In the Ring App, open the menu.
- Make sure you’re on the right Location, then tap Settings.
- Tap Shared Access.
- Tap the User that you would like to change.
- Tap Reset Access Code.
- Enter a four-digit code, then re-enter the code.
- Tap Done.
- Tap Save.