This article will help you solve power problems by replacing the hardwired transformer currently connected to your Ring Doorbell Pro with a new unit.
Important - Read this before installing transformer!
- There is a risk of electrical shock: Working with electricity can be hazardous unless proper safety precautions are taken. If you are uncomfortable with the processes and tools described in this article, please consult a qualified electrician.
- Be sure you have a proper replacement transformer: We recommend a transformer unit with at least 16 volts AC and at least 30 volt-amps.
- Be careful of damaging walls: Removing and installing your transformer may involve removing your old doorbell mechanism or pulling the transformer from inside a crawl space. Lack of care may cause damage to walls or other structural portions of the house.
- Be careful of damaging other electrical components: It's possible that your original transformer may be mounted in a basement, attic, or crawl space with other electrical components. Be careful when removing the transformer that you do not pull or otherwise damage these other components.
Installing your Transformer
- Shut off your power at the breaker.
- You'll be working with electrical wires, so before you begin, turn off the circuit breaker that supplies power to your doorbell transformer.
- Locate your existing doorbell transformer.
- In many houses, the doorbell transformer is installed in a junction box behind the internal doorbell chime or mounted near other electrical components in a basement or crawlspace.
- Remove your existing doorbell transformer.
- First, disconnect the three wires that connect the transformer to household power.
- Next, disconnect the two wires that are screwed into the terminals.
- Note the position of each wire as you detach it. You may find it helpful to take a picture of the current install for later reference.
- Once all of the wires are detached, remove the transformer.
- Mount the new doorbell transformer in place of the old one.
- Connect the wires.
- Once the new transformer is mounted, attach your household power wires to the matching wires on the new transformer using wire nuts.
- Then connect your existing doorbell wires to the two screw terminals. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which terminal.
- Restore power to the breaker.
- Now that the new transformer is mounted and wired, it's time to turn the power back on
- Set up your Ring Video Doorbell Pro.
- Check the voltage
- In the Ring app, tap your Ring Video Doorbell Pro, then tap Device Health.
- Check the voltage reading. If it shows "Good: or "Very Good," you're ready to go!