This article will help you solve power problems by replacing the hardwired transformer currently connected to your Video Doorbell with a new unit.
Important - Read this before installing transformer!
- There is a risk of electrical shock: Working with electricity can be hazardous unless proper safety precautions are taken.
WARNING: Electrical shock hazard. Disconnect power to installation area at your circuit breaker or fuse box before beginning installation. Always use caution when handling electrical wiring.
Installation by a qualified electrician may be required in your area. Refer to your local laws and building codes before performing electrical work; permits plus professional installation may be required by law.
- Be sure you have a proper replacement transformer: We recommend a transformer unit with at least 16 volts AC and at least 30 volt-amps.
- Be careful of damaging walls: Removing and installing your transformer may involve removing your old doorbell mechanism or pulling the transformer from inside a crawl space. Lack of care may cause damage to walls or other structural portions of the house.
- Be careful of damaging other electrical components: It's possible that your original transformer may be mounted in a basement, attic, or crawl space with other electrical components. Be careful when removing the transformer that you do not pull or otherwise damage these other components.
- These instructions are only compatible with the Ring Video Doorbell Pro, Ring Video Doorbell Wired, and the Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2! Do not attempt to use these instructions with any other Ring device!
Installing your Transformer
- Shut off your power at the breaker.
- You'll be working with electrical wires, so before you begin, turn off the circuit breaker that supplies power to your doorbell transformer.
- Locate your existing doorbell transformer.
- In many houses, the doorbell transformer is installed in a junction box behind the internal doorbell chime or mounted near other electrical components in a basement or crawlspace.
- Remove your existing doorbell transformer.
- First, disconnect the three wires that connect the transformer to household power.
- Next, disconnect the two wires that are screwed into the terminals.
- Note the position of each wire as you detach it. You may find it helpful to take a picture of the current install for later reference.
- Once all of the wires are detached, remove the transformer.
- Mount the new doorbell transformer in place of the old one.
- Connect the wires.
- Once the new transformer is mounted, attach your household power wires to the matching wires on the new transformer using wire nuts.
- Then connect your existing doorbell wires to the two screw terminals. It doesn't matter which wire goes to which terminal.
- Restore power to the breaker.
- Now that the new transformer is mounted and wired, it's time to turn the power back on
- Set up your Ring Video Doorbell Pro, Pro 2, or Wired in your Ring app.