If you're having trouble setting up your Ring product, first make sure you've gone through all the steps outlined in this article.
In the rare case that the in-app setup of your Ring device fails repeatedly, and you’ve verified that it’s not related to any of the issues outlined in our other support articles, there are still a couple other things to look at.
This is a system setting on iPhones or iPads that when turned on can occasionally prevent the in-app setup of your Ring device from succeeding.
Perform a Distance Test
If the device is a battery device, or capable of being moved from the mounting location, try bringing it in next to your router before trying a setup.
Sometimes interference or distance can cause the setup to fail. You can learn more about this by going here.
If this solves the issue, you may need to add a wifi extender such as the Chime Pro to your network. Extenders rebroadcast your wifi signal from a new location.
Reboot Your Modem or Router
If you're still not not able to successfully complete a setup, try rebooting your modem and/or router. Since your router and modem are usually the hardest working devices in your house, the devices like to be rebooted about once a month for optimal performance.
To reboot these devices, follow the instructions below:
- Unplug your router or model from its power supply (don't just turn it off).
- If your router and modem are separate, unplug both of them.
- Wait at least 30 seconds, then plug them back in.
- Wait for your internet to be restored.
Confirm that your internet has been restored by connecting another device to your wifi network and trying to access a website, then repeat the setup process.
Perform a Hard Reset on Your Ring Device
When you’ve tried everything else, and setting up your Ring device still isn’t succeeding, try performing a hard reset.
WARNING - Do not follow these steps for any Ring Alarm device. It can cause problems with your system.
To perform a hard reset on any Ring product, hold down the setup button for just over 15 seconds and then release it. Here are the button locations based off the Ring device that you have:
- Ring Doorbell/Stick Up Camera (discontinued): The orange button on the back.
- Ring Doorbell 2/Doorbell Elite: The smaller black button on the front.
- Ring Doorbell Pro: The smaller black button on the right side of the device.
- Ring Spotlight Camera/Floodlight Camera: The button on top of the camera.
- Ring Stick Up Camera Battery/Wired: The orange button on the bottom of the camera, inside the bottom cover.
After performing a hard reset, wait a minute and then repeat the setup process, once again making sure:
- You’re entering the correct password for your wifi network.
- You’re not too far away from your wifi router.
- Your Internet is not down.
Note: You will not need to perform another setup for powered Ring devices such as:
- Ring Doorbell Pro
- Ring Doorbell Elite
- Ring Spotlight Camera Wired and Mount
- Ring Floodlight Camera
- Ring Stick Up Camera Wired
Check the Android Smart Network Switch
If you're trying to set up your Ring device on an Android phone, you can check a system setting that, when active, almost always prevents the successful setup of a Ring device.
When All Else Fails...