The Ring Chime Pro extends your Wi-Fi and increases the signal strength and coverage area of your network. With proper setup, your Ring Chime Pro should improve the signal received by your Ring device and overall device performance.
This guide will walk you through setting up a Chime Pro to work with your Ring device.
Best practices for Wi-Fi extenders:
- Locate the extender close to your Ring device, but within range of router. Place the Chime Pro near where your Ring is or will be mounted. However, make sure that it is not too far away from the main router to receive a consistent and strong signal.
- Ensure you have sufficient upload speeds. We recommend at least 1 Mbps upload speeds for Doorbell and Stick Up Cams and at least 2 Mbps for Doorbell Pros/Doorbell 2/Video Doorbell Elite/Floodlight Camera or Spotlight Camera when connecting through the Chime Pro. Upload speeds that are significantly lower can lead to degraded video quality and other performance issues. You can test your upload speeds with tools like SpeedTest.net. Contact your internet service provider if upload speeds are insufficient.
You are now ready to connect your Ring device to the extender network. To do this:
To download the Ring App:
- On your mobile device, go to the App Store.
- Do a search for “Ring.”
- Download and install the Ring app on your mobile device.
- Tap “Setup Device”
- Select Chime.
After beginning the setup process you will have the opportunity to name your Ring Chime to distinguish it from the other Ring products in your account. Several default names are suggested or you can enter a custom name for your Chime.
In the next step, if this is your first time setting up a Ring product, you will get a request from your phone informing you that the Ring App wishes to use your phone’s location services to pinpoint your location. Allowing the app to do so will assist in inputting your address. Without a specific location, certain features of your Ring Chime will not work properly.
Note: The app will estimate your address as closely as possible. If it is not completely accurate and misses the address by a few numbers, the app will still work properly.
For the next step, your phone or tablet will need to connect to the Wi-Fi network called “Chime.”
If you’re on an Android device, this step should happen automatically. If it doesn’t, please click here for tips on what to do next.
On an iPhone or iPad, follow the instructions below:
- Press the Home button on your iPhone or iPad to leave the Ring app.
- Navigate to the “Settings” app.
- Tap “Wi-Fi.”
- Select the network from the list that begins with “Ring-.”
- Close your Settings App and return to the Ring App.
- When you return to the Ring app, the app will automatically scan for available Wi-Fi networks. Select the network closest to your Chime to connect it.
The remainder of this step should complete automatically. If it doesn’t or if you run into any problems, click here.
The next step in the setup process will ask you to connect your Ring Chime to your Wi-Fi network. Be sure you're near your router and have your Wi-Fi password ready. If you have more than one Wi-Fi network, select the one closest to where you will be installing your Ring Chime.