Wi-Fi extenders increase the signal strength and coverage area of your network. With proper setup, your extender should improve the signal received by your Ring device and overall device performance.
This guide will walk you through setting up a TP Link (TL-WA850RE) WiFi Range Extender to work with your Ring device.
Best practices for Wi-Fi extenders:
- Give your extender a unique network name (SSID). This ensures that your Ring device connects to the extender instead of potentially roaming between the extender and main router.
- Locate the extender close to your Ring device, but within range of router. Place the extender near where your Ring is or will be mounted. However, make sure that the extender is not too far away from the main router to receive a consistent and strong signal.
- Ensure you have sufficient upload speeds. We recommend at least 1 Mbps upload speeds for Doorbell and Stick Up Cams and at least 2 Mbps Pros. Upload speeds significantly lower can lead to degraded video quality and other performance issues. You can test your upload speeds with tools like SpeedTest.net. Contact your internet service provider if upload speeds are insufficient.
Setup instructions for a TP Link (TL-WA850RE) WiFi Range Extender:
- Plug the extender into a power outlet near your home router or access point
- Push the main (lock) button on the top of the WiFi Range Extender
- On your computer, connect to the TP-Link_Extender_XXXXXX WiFi network
- The computer should be redirected to tplinkrepeater.net
- Login using the username ‘admin’ and the password ‘admin’
- Select the region where you live
- Select your home wireless network and enter your network password
- Give the extender a unique name (SSID) that is different than your home network (see image below)
- Click “Next” to complete setup
- Unplug your extender and plug it back into a power outlet at its final location near your Ring device
You are now ready to connect your Ring device to the extender network. To do this:
- Open the Ring App
- Tap “Add Device”
- Follow in-app instructions, being sure to select the unique network name you created for the extender in step 8 above
Enjoy using your Ring device and reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you continue to have connection issues.