Once you've set up a device in your Ring app, you'll be the sole account owner. As the account owner, you have control over all of the settings on your Ring devices. If you want to use multiple electronic devices (tablet, another phone, etc.) to control your Ring devices, download the Ring app onto the additional devices and use the same login and password you use to log into the Ring app.
With a Ring Protect subscription or trial, the account owner and shared users can view recorded videos and video history. You can access your video history from the Ring app or on ring.com. Ring videos are stored in the cloud for up to 60 days in the U.S. (30 days outside the U.S.). Check Ring Protect Subscription Plans for more information about your plan's retention period.
About Shared Users
A Shared User is a person who has permission to watch live video feed, view video recordings, and receive notifications or alerts for a Ring device that you own. You can give a Shared User the ability to view one or more of the devices on your Ring account. You can grant or revoke Shared User access at any time.
Shared Users must have their own Ring account, and use their email and password to log in. If you have multiple Ring devices, you must add the Shared User to each device individually.
What a Shared User can do
- Answer and receive alerts when someone presses the doorbell or triggers motion sensors on cameras.
- View stored videos if you are enrolled in a Ring Protect Plan.
- Turn alerts on and off for their own account on a smartphone, tablet or PC.
- Save and share videos directly to their smartphone, tablet, laptop or computer.
- Use smart locks and/or arm or disarm Ring Alarm system.
What a Shared User can’t do
For security reasons, Shared Users can’t do any of the following:
- Subscribe to a Ring Protect Plan for a device they don’t own.
- Delete stored videos or shared videos.
- Delete devices from your account.
- Change or adjust any device settings.
- Add other Shared Users.
If you’re a Shared User and would like to subscribe to a Ring Protect Plan, you must ask the account owner to subscribe to a plan for that location. The account owner is the person who set up the Ring device and invited you to be a Shared User for that location. Ring Protect Plans are available for purchase per device and per location. It’s possible for one location to have two or more Ring Protect Plans.
Learn more about subscribing to Ring Protect.
Adding a Shared User
Please note, only the account owner can add a Shared User to their account.
- Tap on the three lines at the top left on the Dashboard screen.
- Tap Devices.
- Tap on the device that you want to add a Shared User for.
- Tap Shared User (you might have to scroll to see it).
- Enter the email of the person you want to add as a Shared User.
- Tap Add User.
- Tap Send Invite.
The Shared User can accept the invitation via a link in their email. It can take up to 60 seconds for shared devices to show up in the app after the Shared User accepts the invitation. For Ring Alarm system Shared User invitations, it may take up to 15 minutes for the devices to appear in their Ring app.