To charge your Ring doorbell, follow the steps as they're listed below. You'll be using a common micro-USB like the one that came with your device in the box, but instructions will vary by model.
Before you get started, confirm your doorbell model using the Ring app, as it's important to note certain details specific to your device:
- Only the Ring Video Doorbell (1st Generation) and Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation) are charged by removing the entire doorbell unit from the mount. All other doorbells (Ring Video Doorbell 2, 3, 3 Plus and 4) have removable Quick Release Battery Packs under the faceplates.
- If your battery-powered doorbell is hardwired or has a solar charger, it receives a trickle charge from those sources and may still need to have the battery charged.
- If you don't want to experience any downtime while charging the battery, spare batteries are available for purchase.
First, Check Battery Charge in the Ring App
- Tap the three lines (☰) on the top left of the Ring app.
- Tap Devices.
- Tap the doorbell you want to check.
- Tap Power Settings.
- Under Battery Status, you'll see Battery Level.
- Below Battery Status, you'll see Feature Power Usage. Here, you can view and adjust any features that are affecting battery life to optimize your battery life.
Next, Charge Your Doorbell Battery
Scroll down to the instructions for your doorbell model and follow the steps.
Important: Always be sure to use supplied security screws to fasten your doorbell. Using a wood or other type of screw may damage your battery and create a fire hazard. If you think you may have used the incorrect screw, please contact Ring Support.
Ring Video Doorbell (1st Generation) and Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation)
- Remove the security screws at the base of the doorbell and lift the doorbell up and away from the mounting bracket.
- Plug your micro-USB cable into the port on the back of the device.
- When the battery is fully charged, only the solid green light will remain on. Unplug the micro-USB cord and reattach the device to the mounting bracket using the security screws.
Ring Video Doorbell 2, 3, 3 Plus, and 4
- Remove the security screws on the base of the faceplate.
- Gently squeeze the faceplate ridges on both sides and lift the faceplate off.
- Then, press the silver metal tab to release the battery.
- Connect your micro-USB cable to the charging port in the battery. Your battery is fully charged when the light on the battery shines a solid green.
- Slide the fully charged battery back into your Ring Doorbell. There will be a click when the battery is secure.
- Reattach the faceplate to the Ring Doorbell and secure it with the security screw.
Once you reinstall the doorbell or the battery, give your doorbell a test ring. This will reset the battery percentage in the Ring App.
Note: You will not see an updated battery status until your doorbell is reinstalled and it reconnects to your wifi network.