If you would like to avoid charging your battery by directly connecting your Ring Video Doorbell to a transformer, it's possible if you don't have an existing doorbell.
This article will tell you how to connect a Ring Doorbell directly to a low voltage 8-24V AC transformer.
Note: Some important facts for people planning on using this optional alternate configuration for their Ring Video Doorbell.
- The Ring Video Doorbell can only be connected to an AC transformer. DC is not supported.
- Connecting the Ring Video Doorbell to an AC transformer requires some knowledge of wiring and soldering. If you are uncomfortable reading wiring diagrams, hooking up wires or soldering them in place, consult a licensed electrician for assistance or use the built-in rechargeable battery to power your Video Doorbell.
- Wires should be soldered onto the resistor and a wire clip can be used on the other end.
- In addition to the equipment included in your Ring Video Doorbell box, You will need to purchase an electronic resistor. A resistor is REQUIRED in place of a mechanical or electronic doorbell kit for this alternate configuration to work successfully.
- Note: If you hook up a Ring Video Doorbell directly to an AC transformer without either a resistor or an internal chime, there is a serious fire risk.
- Do NOT install a diode.
Ring Video Doorbell
Ring Video Doorbell 2
If you are looking to purchase a resistor, they are available on ring.com: