To set up your Ring Alarm, you need to add your Ring Alarm Base Station to your Devices in the Ring app first.
- Go to the App Store or Google Play.
- Download and install the Ring app on your mobile device.
If this is your first Ring product, you will be asked to set up an account. To set up an account:
- Open the Ring app.
- Tap Create Account and follow the instructions.
If you already have another Ring product installed, simply open the app, tap the menu (≡) and select Set Up a Device.
- Tap Set Up a Device.
- Tap Security.
- Select your Base Station type and follow the instructions.
In the next step, if this is your first time setting up a Ring product, you will need to input your address. Please note that Ring Alarm requires an accurate address and nearest cross streets, as this is the location emergency responders will be sent to.
Make sure Bluetooth is turned on on your mobile device. Press the pairing button on the back of your Base Station. When the blue LED light on top starts to spin, tap Find my Base Station.
Your Base Station will need to connect to the internet via your wifi network or through an Ethernet cable.
If connecting your Ring Alarm Base Station using Ethernet, ensure to run your Ethernet cable away from the Base Station. Avoid placing the Ethernet cable over the front of your Base Station speaker and LED ring.
Ring Alarm devices are the hardware accessories you'll use to set up your Ring of Security around your home. They come in four different types:
- Contact Sensor: Contact sensors are two-part devices connected by a strong magnetic field. They are placed on doors or windows. When the alarm system is armed, they will trigger an alarm as soon as their magnetic contact is broken by the door or window opening.
- Motion Detector: A motion detector is a device that uses Passive Infrared scanning (PIR) to detect motion to set off the alarm.
- Keypad: Your keypad is used to arm and disarm the system.
- Range Extender: As its name would imply, the range extender is used to extend the range of the Z-Wave network that the Ring Alarm Base Station uses to communicate with its connected devices.
Setting up your devices is as easy as turning them on. For the contact sensor and motion detector pull out the tab on the back when prompted. For the keypad, plug the power cable into the bottom of the keypad and for the Range Extender, simply plug it into a wall outlet.
Your Base Station will automatically find and add your devices. Once you have added them, you will also have the opportunity to rename and assign them to a Room.
Depending on where you live, you may need additional information on how to sign up for a permit for your Ring Protect.