Ring Protect is an affordable and comprehensive DIY home security system. Built to reduce neighborhood crime, this customizable security system enhances the effectiveness of Ring’s doorbells, cams and accessories. The seamless integration of Ring Protect and the entire Ring product line creates a Ring of Security that protects homes both inside and out. The following articles answer some of the frequently asked questions regarding the Ring Protect system.
Ring Protect is a DIY home security system for any house or apartment. Ring Protect gives you the option to enable 24/7 professional monitoring and is equipped with battery backup and LTE cellular backup to ensure the system is always up and running even if your power goes out or broadband is unavailable. Ring Protect is simple, affordable security without long-term contracts or the need for professional installation.
The Ring Protect kit retails for $199(US). The optional Ring Protect Plus monitoring and recording plan costs $10 per month or $100(US) per year. Additional Ring Protect sensors and devices are also sold separately.
As of October, 2017, Ring Protect is available for pre-order at Ring.com, BestBuy.com and HomeDepot.com. The devices will also be available in Best Buy and Home Depot stores in November, 2017.
The Ring Protect kit contains all the components you need to install and activate your new security system.
- Base Station: The base station is the heart of your system and connects your Ring Protect security devices to all your Ring Video Doorbells, Security Cameras, and other smart devices. The base station monitors the secure sensors in your home in order to trigger burglary or fire alarms. The base station includes cellular and battery backup to support sending alarms even if broadband and power go down.
- Keypad: The keypad provides users with a physical interface for controlling their alarm system. The keypad allows users to arm and disarm their system, view system status and receive visual and audio feedback regarding system status changes and events. The keypad includes a rechargeable battery and AC power options so users have the convenience to place the keypad on a tabletop or mount it on a wall.
- Contact Sensor: The contact sensor mounts to any door or window and monitors whether the door or window is opened or closed. Contact sensors are battery-operated with an anticipated 3-year battery life and can be set up with double-sided tape or using screws.
- Motion Detector: The motion detector watches for motion in an area or room. It observes motion by a passive infrared (PIR) sensor in a 90º radius. Motion sensors are battery-operated with an anticipated 3-year battery life and can be set up with double-sided tape or using screws.
- Range Extender: The range extender strengthens the Z-Wave mesh network and extends the signal from your base station to communicate with devices that are normally outside of its range. The range extender also has a battery to ensure Ring Protect maintains its mesh network if the power goes down.
Yes. Additional sensors are available for $20 each and additional motion detectors are available for $30 each.
No, the Ring Protect Plus professional monitoring service doesn’t cost extra. The Plus Plan covers both Ring Protect professional monitoring services and video recording for existing and newly purchased Ring doorbells and cameras for $10 per month or $100 per year. Please note that Ring Protect monitoring only covers one Location. Video recording from cameras at all Locations is included at no extra charge.
No. The Basic $3 per month or $30 per year plan only covers a single camera. If you have this plan, you will need to upgrade to Ring Protect Plus to get monitoring for your Ring Protect system.
No. If you have not signed up for Ring Protect Plus your Ring Protect system will still monitor your home, but any alerts will be sent solely to your smart phone and not to authorities.
Yes, Ring Protect can also trigger fire and carbon monoxide alarms but only if you’ve installed a FirstAlert Z-Wave Smoke/CO Alarm. As a part of Ring Protect Plus, if your alarm is triggered due to fire or carbon monoxide detection, fire rescue will be immediately dispatched. If you’re enrolled in self-monitoring and your alarm is triggered due to fire or carbon monoxide detection, you will only receive alerts that you’re system alarm has gone off and you will need to take action yourself.
Alarm System permit requirements vary depending on where you live. Some jurisdictions require alarm users to register their professionally monitored security systems. Depending on the laws of your local jurisdiction, you may be required to obtain a permit before enabling professional monitoring services with Ring Protect Plus.
Yes. Ring Protect will be integrated into the redesigned Ring app.
Yes, Ring Protect is currently compatible with FirstAlert Z-Wave Smoke/CO Alarm. We will be adding compatibility with additional devices in the near future to make your home more secure.
Ring Protect only monitors Ring Protect sensors, but it does alert authorities if a FirstAlert Z-Wave Smoke/CO Alarm triggers a smoke or carbon monoxide alarm.
The Ring Protect comes with cellular and battery back-up systems that kick in if you lose your power or internet connection. The back-up battery is good for about 24 hours of operation.
For right now the Ring Protect service is only available in the United States. Ring is currently working on rolling out the service in other countries and will announce when it is available.