Ring Alarm is an affordable and comprehensive DIY home security system. Start with a Security Kit that includes a Base Station, Keypad, Contact Sensor, Motion Detector, and Range Extender. Add components to meet your security needs and the size of your home.
Built to reduce neighborhood crime, this customizable security system enhances the effectiveness of Ring’s doorbells, cams, and accessories. The seamless integration of Ring Alarm and the entire Ring product line through the Ring app protects homes both inside and out. The following article answers some of the frequently asked questions regarding the Ring Alarm system.
What is the Ring Alarm system?
Ring Alarm is a DIY home security system for any house or apartment. Ring Alarm gives you the option to enable 24/7 Ring Alarm Professional Monitoring and is equipped with battery backup and LTE cellular backup to ensure the system is always up and running even if your power goes out or broadband is unavailable (with a Ring Protect Pro plan). Ring Alarm is simple, affordable security without long-term contracts or the need for professional installation.
Ring Alarm can also be used at business locations. Click here for information about using Ring Alarm for business.
Can I control my Ring Alarm system through the Ring app?
Yes. Ring Alarm will be integrated into the redesigned Ring app.
What comes in the Ring Alarm box?
The Ring Alarm kit contains all the components you need to install and activate your new security system.
- Base Station: The base station is the heart of your system and connects your Ring Alarm security devices to all your Ring Video Doorbells, Security Cameras, and other smart devices. The base station monitors the secure sensors in your home in order to trigger burglar or fire alarms. The base station includes cellular and battery backup to support sending alarms even if broadband and power go down.
- Keypad: The keypad provides users with a physical interface for controlling their alarm system. The keypad allows users to arm and disarm their system, view system status and receive visual and audio feedback regarding system status changes and events. The keypad includes a rechargeable battery and AC power options so users have the convenience to place the keypad on a tabletop or mount it on a wall.
- Contact Sensor: The contact sensor mounts to any door or window and monitors whether the door or window is opened or closed. Contact sensors are battery-operated with an anticipated 3-year battery life and can be set up with double-sided tape or using screws.
- Motion Detector: The motion detector watches for motion in an area or room. It observes motion by a passive infrared (PIR) sensor in a 90º radius. Motion sensors are battery-operated with an anticipated 3-year battery life and can be set up with double-sided tape or using screws.
- Range Extender: The range extender strengthens the Z-Wave mesh network and extends the signal from your base station to communicate with devices that are normally outside of its range. The range extender also has a battery to ensure Ring Alarm maintains its mesh network if the power goes down.
Do I have to purchase the kit or can I buy one piece at a time?
The Ring Alarm Security Kit contains everything you need to secure your home. The Base Station is not available as a separate purchase. You can purchase additional sensors, motion detectors, keypads, and other devices to extend your Alarm.
Is the Base Station necessary?
Yes. The Base Station is necessary for the Ring Alarm to function.
I see that the Ring Alarm system can act as a burglar alarm and an intruder detection system. Can it also detect fires and carbon monoxide?
Yes, Ring Alarm can also trigger fire and carbon monoxide alarms but only if you’ve installed a FirstAlert Z-Wave Smoke/CO Alarm. As a part of Ring Alarm professional monitoring,* if your alarm is triggered due to fire or carbon monoxide detection, fire rescue will be immediately dispatched. If you’re enrolled in self-monitoring and your alarm is triggered due to fire or carbon monoxide detection, you will only receive alerts that your system alarm has gone off and you will need to take action yourself.
I signed up for a Ring Protect Basic plan for a single Ring camera. Does that plan cover Ring Alarm system monitoring?*
No. The Basic plan only covers a single camera. If you have this plan, you will need to upgrade to the Pro plan to get Ring Alarm professional monitoring* for your Ring Alarm system.
How long will the battery last on the keypad before needing to be recharged?
The battery should last six - nine months on a single charge before needing a recharge. This can change depending on usage and power save settings.
Where does the sound come from when the alarm goes off
The sound comes from the base station and the keypad.
How many decibels is the security system's alarm?
The alarm is 104 decibels, the equivalent to the sound of a motorcycle.
How many sensors can be used per security kit?
Up to 100 Z-Wave devices can be used per each security kit.
Will my pets set off my motion sensors?
No. The Alarm system has advanced motion sensitivity to prevent false alarms from pets under 33 pounds.
Is the Ring Alarm on sale now?
How much does the Ring Alarm system cost?
The Ring Alarm 5-piece Security Kit retails for $199 USD. The optional Ring Alarm professional monitoring* and recording plan costs $20 per month or $200 USD per year. Additional Ring Alarm sensors and devices are also sold separately.
Do I have to sign up for the Ring Protect Plan?
No. If you have not signed up for Ring Protect Pro, your Ring Alarm system will still monitor your home, but any alerts will be sent solely to your smartphone and/or email and not to authorities.
I already signed up for Ring Protect Pro when I purchased another Ring product. Is the monitoring* plan for the Ring Alarm system a separate charge?
No, the Alarm professional monitoring* service doesn’t cost extra. The Ring Protect Pro plan with professional monitoring* also covers video recording for existing and newly purchased Ring doorbells and cameras for $20 per month or $200 per year. Please note that Ring Alarm professional monitoring* only covers one location.
Can the Ring Alarm be connected via wifi or does it require an Ethernet connection?
The Ring Alarm can be connected via 2.4 or 5 GHz wifi or Ethernet connections.
What cellular network is being used for the cellular backup features of Ring Alarm?
Cellular network services for the Ring Alarm's back-up are being provided by AT&T.
What happens if the power fails or I lose my internet connection?
The Ring Alarm comes with cellular (with a Ring Protect Pro plan) and battery backup systems that kick in if you lose your power or internet connection. The backup battery is good for about 24 hours of operation.
Is the Ring Alarm system compatible with other devices?
Yes, Ring Alarm is currently compatible with FirstAlert Z-Wave Smoke/CO Alarm. We will be adding compatibility with additional devices in the near future to make your home more secure.
Does Ring Alarm monitor third-party devices?
Ring Alarm only monitors Ring Alarm sensors, but it does alert authorities if a FirstAlert Z-Wave Smoke/CO Alarm triggers a smoke or carbon monoxide alarm.
Are there any plans to work with your current lock company partners or SmartThings/HomeKit/Google Home to integrate with Ring Alarm?
Ring is always exploring integration opportunities with a number of partners based on what will best empower our Neighbors with affordable, effective ways to monitor their homes. Going forward, Ring will announce these partnerships as soon as they are ready.
Do I need a permit or a registration to own a Ring Alarm system?
Permit requirements vary depending on where you live. Some jurisdictions require alarm users to register their professionally monitored security systems. Depending on the laws of your local jurisdiction, you may be required to obtain a permit before enrolling in professional monitoring* services with Ring Protect Pro.
Are alarm certificates available to send to insurance agents for discounts?
Yes, you can download your insurance certificate, and submit it to your insurance company for possible discounts.
Using the Ring app:
- Tap on the Menu.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Monitoring.
- Tap on Insurance Certificate.
We will send the monitoring* certificate to you via email, so check your inbox.
- Log in to your account on Ring.com
- Hold your mouse over your name in the upper right corner.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Monitoring.
- Tap Certificate.
In the future, if you add additional professionally-monitored* devices to your Ring Alarm, you can download an updated certificate anytime.
Will professional installation be available for Ring Alarm?
Not at this time. The Ring Alarm system has been designed to be easy to setup and install and does not require professional installation.
Does this device have a Panic Button?
Yes. There is a panic option on the keypad which sends the police right away. To trigger the panic function, hold down the x and checkmark keys on the keypad.
I have a Ring Protect discount email that I received when I pre-ordered the Ring Protect in 2017. Is it valid for the Ring Alarm and how do I make use of it?
Yes, the Ring Protect discount is valid for use on the Ring Alarm. If you pre-ordered the Ring Protect on Ring.com in 2017, you were sent an email with a one-time use discount code. This code can be entered in the shop at Ring.com and the system will adjust the price accordingly.
* A compatible Ring Protect subscription is required to enroll in the Ring Alarm professional monitoring service. Professional monitoring service is available only within the U.S. (all 50 states, but not U.S. territories) and in Canada (excluding Quebec). Ring does not own its own professional monitoring center. Smoke and carbon monoxide monitoring is not available for commercial properties. See Ring Alarm licenses at: https://www.ring.com/licenses.