Ring Neighbors Mission Statement
At Ring, our mission is to reduce crime in neighborhoods. Ring Neighborhoods expands the Ring of Security from your home to those of the neighbors in your immediate community. Ring Neighborhoods lets you easily share and communicate with your neighbors about crime and safety so you have up-to-date local crime data at your fingertips. Ring believes that knowledge and communication foster stronger and safer communities. Together we can make our neighborhoods better places to live for our families, friends, and neighbors.
That being said, communication between neighbors only works when we all adhere to a set of community standards that lets us relay information to one another in ways that everyone can live with. The rest of this article will detail Ring's community standards for the Neighbors feature on the Ring app.
Ring's Community Guidelines
The safety and security of our neighbors are of paramount importance to Ring. For that reason, we want to foster an inclusive online community where all our neighbors feel safe and welcome to share important and sometimes sensitive information with each other. To ensure that Ring Neighborhoods remains a platform for neighbors to respectfully and safely interact with each other, we've created the following Community Guidelines.
Violating our Community Guidelines or the spirit in which they are intended may result in the removal of the offending content along with account termination. Ring will work with law enforcement in any case where we believe there is a risk of harm to our neighbors or a threat to public safety.
If you identify anything that violates our Community Guidelines, please flag the post and bring it to our attention. We ask that you also keep in mind that Ring Neighbors has a large and diverse user base that will have differing points of view, some of which you may find objectionable. While we will do our best to ensure compliance with our Community Guidelines, we respect free speech and multiple points of view and do not seek to advance any agenda beyond neighborhood safety and security.
The following lists the pillars of our community standards, the guidelines within which we hope to develop a robust and diverse community dedicated to making their neighborhoods a safer place to be.
- Crime and safety related content only
- Ring Neighbors is a place to share, discuss, and raise awareness about crime and safety-related activity in your community. Content that is not related to crime and safety in your neighborhood should not be posted and will be removed immediately. This includes links to external sites that do not fall under the definition of "crime and safety-related content."
- Provide as many details as you can to help identify suspects
- Before you post any content about particular individuals, consider the behavior that made you suspicious and whether such suspicion is reasonable. In describing individuals, focus on providing a sufficient amount of relevant details to distinguish this individual from others who may share similar characteristics. Reports that, for example, list nothing but a suspect's ethnicity are not nearly as useful as ones that also include the suspect's hair color and style, clothes or jewelry they were wearing, approximate age and/or distinguishing marks, tattoos, or scars.
- Treat neighbors with respect
- Ring Neighbors is a diverse and inclusive space for neighbors to safely interact with one another. While we encourage open communication amongst our neigbors and understand that occasional disagreements may occur, direct threats against any individuals, bullying, harassment, and any posts that demean, defame, or disriminate against any groups of people will not be tolerated.
- Protect yourself
- It is up to you how much personal information you wish to share on Ring Neighbors or whether you want to share any at all. We recommend that you do not share information about yourself that you consider to be personal or private, such as your email or your home address. Please consult with local law enforcement in cases that pose immediate danger or threats to your safety or security.
- Respect privacy, intellectual property rights, and other applicable laws.
- Before you post any content, please make sure you have the right to do so. Please do not post pictures of people taken where they had a reasonable expectation of privacy (such as bathrooms, bedrooms, and changing areas) without their knowledge or consent. Please think carefully before you post identifying information about anyone in the community.
- Do not post sexually suggestive content
- Do not share any sexual or sexually suggestive content, even if it is crime or safety related. If you have such content that you think will be useful in solving or preventing a crime, please contact law enforcement.
- Do not post advertisements or solicitations for business
- Ring Neighbors is designed to be an open space for people who wish to make their community safer. As such solicitations for business or advertising are distracting and inappropriate and will be removed.
- Do not impersonate other people
- While we do not require you to use your authentic identity, attempts to impersonate someone else, including your friends, neighbors or a celebrity, will not be tolerated.