Physically installing up your Ring Video Doorbell 2 with an existing doorbell is a simple process. Simply scroll down for a step-by-step guide.
Note that you should setup your Ring Doorbell 2 in your Ring App before mounting it to your door. Click here for information on setting up your Ring Doorbell.
Step One: Charge the Provided Battery
- Fully charge the battery by plugging it into a power source using the provided orange cable.
- The small light on top will glow green when fully charged.
- Insert the battery into the bottom of your Ring Doorbell 2 until it clicks into place.
Step Two: Remove your existing doorbell
If replacing an existing doorbell, shut off power at the breaker. Then remove it from the wall and disconnect the wires.
Note: If wiring your Ring Doorbell 2 to an existing doorbell, a transformer with a voltage of 8-24 VAC is required. If wiring directly into a transformer, a resistor must be used. Insert the battery into the bottom of your Ring Doorbell 2 until it clicks into place. Click here for more information on installing a Ring Doorbell 2 directly to a transformer without an existing hardwired doorbell.
DC transformers and most intercoms are not supported.
Step Three: Line Up your Ring Video Doorbell 2
To properly line up your Ring Video Doorbell 2:
- Click the level tool (included in the box) into the small hole on the front of the Ring Doorbell 2 below the camera.
- Place the Ring Doorbell 2 next to your door at about 48 inches from the ground.
- Level the device using the level tool.
- Mark the positions for mounting holes with a pencil.
Note: The provided adaptor plate can be used to properly line up the device if your are replacing a Ring Video Doorbell.
Step Four: Drill Holes
Optional: Use a drill to drill holes where you marked the position of the mounting holes.
- If you are mounting the Ring Doorbell 2 on brick, concrete, or stucco, put the included plastic anchors into the holes. You may need to use a hammer to get the anchors in.
- If you are using the included optional adaptor mounting plate on wood or vinyl, just use the included screws.
Step Five: Install the diode.
If you're wiring your Ring doorbell 2 to digital doorbell -- you'll know it's digital if it plays a melody -- then install the included diode.
if your existing doorbell is mechanical do not use the diode as it can damage your existing doorbell.
Click here for information on using the diode with your Ring Doorbell.
Step Six (optional): Attach the wire extensions.
If you have trouble connecting the wires coming out of the wall to the back of your Ring Doorbell 2, use the provided wire extensions and wire nuts.
Step Seven: Connect the wires
Connect the wires coming out of your wall to the screws on the unit.
Either wire can connect to either screw. The order doesn't matter.
Step Eight: Place Your Ring Video Doorbell 2 over the holes.
Don't forget to remove the level tool from the front of the device.
Step Nine: Screw in the Ring Doorbell 2
Feed all the wires (and the wire nuts if you used them) into your wall and secure your Ring Doorbell 2 on the wall. Be sure you use all four included screws.
Step Ten: Install the Faceplate
Place one of the provided faceplates on your Ring Doorbell by slotting it in at the top and clicking it into place.
Step Eleven: Tighten the Security Screw
Use one of the provided security screws and the star-shaped end of the screwdriver bit to secure the faceplate.