A small diode came packaged with my Ring Video Doorbell 2. What is it for and how do I install it?
The diode included with your Video Doorbell 2 is a small device that makes sure that your digital bell plays all the way through its sound cycle. If you have a digital doorbell chime, it's required in order for your Ring Doorbell 2 to function properly.
To install your diode, just follow the instructions below:
- Be sure that your internal bell is digital before attaching the diode. This means that your ring tone comes through a speaker device, and is not generated by a mechanical hammer and bell. Attaching the diode when you have a mechanical bell could damage your bell.
- Before removing or attaching wires, be sure that the power is turned off at the breaker box.
- If you're uncomfortable with opening up your original bell box or attaching and detaching wires, consult a licensed electrician.
- Before installing your diode, make sure to look at your diode and notice the small marking on one end. This end should point to the wire that leads to your bell.
Installing the Ring Video Doorbell 2 Diode
- Install the diode directly on the screws on the back of your Ring Video Doorbell 2 unit.
- Connect your existing wiring to the screws on the back of your Ring Video Doorbell 2 unit, making sure that the marking on the diode points to the wire that leads to your bell.
- Restore power at the breaker. The ring on the front of the doorbell should light up, indicating it's receiving power.
- If you restore power to your Ring Doorbell 2 and your bell doesn't ring when you test your Ring, try turning off the power and flipping the diode over.