Setting up your Ring Video Doorbell 2 in the Ring app is simple. Simply scroll down for a step-by-step guide.
Step One - Charge the provided battery
Fully charge the provided battery by plugging it into a USB port using the provided orange cable.
The battery is fully charged when only the green LED is lit.
Step Two - Insert the Battery
Remove the battery from its charging place and ensure that the Ring Video Doorbell 2’s faceplate is off.
Insert the battery with the flat metal catch facing the front of the doorbell. The largest portion of this catch should be on the bottom.
When you have inserted the battery properly, you should hear a ‘click.’ This means the battery is properly secured.
Step Three - Download the Ring App
To download the Ring app:
- On your mobile device, go to the App Store (for iOS devices) or the Play Store (for Android devices).
- Search for “Ring.”
- Download and install the Ring app on your mobile device.
Or visit ring.com/app on your mobile device.
Step Four - Create or Log in to Your Account
If this is your first Ring product, you will be asked to set up an account.
To set up an account:
- Open the Ring app.
- Select “Create Account.”
- Follow the in-app instructions to create a new account.
If you already have another Ring device installed, simply open the Ring app.
Step Five - Tap 'Set Up a Device'
Tap “Set Up a Device” then select “Doorbells.”
Step Six - Scan the QR code on your Ring Device
You can scan the QR code on your Ring device or product packaging via the Ring app.
- Tap the three lines (≡) on the left side of your Dashboard in the Ring app.
- Tap Set up a Device and select Doorbells.
- Tap I’m Ready to Scan.
- Point your smartphone’s camera at the QR code on your Ring device or product packaging. (Note: If you don’t see the QR code, please remove your video doorbell’s faceplate).
- Center the code in the phone camera’s view at the bottom half of the screen.
- When the code is recognized, a green square will appear and a pop-up with your device image detected.
If you experience issues scanning the QR code, please follow these steps:
- Move your camera closer or further from the QR code to help it focus.
- Once your camera finds focus, hold it steady for a few seconds.
- If your camera won’t focus, clean your camera lens, move to a well-lit area, and try again.
If you continue to experience issues, please follow these additional steps:
- Tap Other Options below the scanner.
- Select Can’t Scan the QR code.
- Confirm by selecting Enter code manually (this corresponds to PIN code digits underneath the QR code).
- Find your device in the list.
- Enter your five digit PIN which can be found below the QR code.
Step Seven - Specify Your Location
If this is your first time setting up a Ring device, you will receive a request from your phone informing you that the Ring app wishes to use your phone’s location services to pinpoint your location. Allowing the app to do so will assist with inputting your address.
Enter your address information into the app, then confirm it.
If you have established a location previously, you can select it from the list of your locations.
Note: Without a specific location, certain features of your Video Doorbell will not work properly.
Click here to learn more about Ring devices and your address.
Step Eight - Name Your Device
Select a specific name for your Video Doorbell 2 to distinguish it from other Ring devices on your account. You can choose one of the default names that are suggested, or you can enter your own by selecting “Custom…” at the bottom of the list.
Step Nine - Put Your Video Doorbell 2 into Setup Mode
Press and release the small black button on the front of your Video Doorbell 2. When there is a spinning white light on the front of your Video Doorbell, tap the “Continue” button in your Ring app.
Step Ten - Connect to Your Ring Device
The Ring wifi network is a temporary access point that you join briefly during the setup of a Ring device. After you connect to the temporary Ring wifi network, you will connect to your own home wifi network. Then, you are no longer connected to the Ring network. Your smartphone may generate a message that says "no internet connection" or similar verbiage in the settings. This is not a cause for concern. You can safely join the temporary Ring wifi network access point and complete your setup.
iOS: Tap Join when the Ring app asks to join the Ring wifi network.
Android: Your device should automatically connect to the Ring wifi network.
If your device does not automatically connect to the Ring wifi network, or if you chose to continue without scanning in step six, please follow the steps below:
- Press the Home button on your phone to leave the Ring app.
- Navigate to the Settings app, then tap wifi.
- On Android, you may need to navigate to Connection then wifi.
- Select the Ring wifi network from the list of available networks. The network will appear as either:
- “Ring-” followed by the last six digits of the MAC ID.
- “Ring Setup” followed by the last two digits of the MAC ID.
- Once connected, close your “Settings” app and return to the Ring app
Step Eleven - Connect Your Video Doorbell 2 to Your Wifi
Be sure you’re near your router and have your wifi password ready.
- Select your wifi network.
- If you have more than one wifi network, select the network closest to where you will be installing your Video Doorbell 2.
- Enter your wifi password and press Continue.
Note: After connecting to your wifi network, your Video Doorbell may update its internal software. While performing an update, the light on the front of your device will flash white. Once the light stops flashing, you know the update is complete and you can continue the setup.
Please do not attempt to ring the doorbell at this time, as it will further delay the update.
Step Twelve - Test Your Device
Once your Video Doorbell has completed its update and setup, push the front button to complete a test call. This will initiate your software and ensure your doorbell is ready to function.
Click here for information on installing your Ring Video Doorbell 2 with an existing doorbell.
Click here for information on installing your Ring Video Doorbell 2 without an existing doorbell.
Click here to download the Ring Video Doorbell 2 instruction manual.