Setting up your Ring Chime in the Ring app is simple. Simply scroll down for a step-by-step guide.
Download the Ring app
To download the Ring app:
Create or sign in to your account
If this is your first Ring product, you will be asked to set up an account.
To set up an account:
- Open the Ring app.
- Select Create Account.
- Follow the in-app instructions to create a new account.
If you already have another Ring device installed, simply open the Ring app.
Tap 'Set Up a Device'
Tap “Set Up a Device” then select “Chimes”
Scan the QR code on your Ring device
You can scan the QR code on your Ring device or the product packaging via the Ring app.
- Tap the three lines (≡) on the left side of your Dashboard in the Ring app.
- Tap Set up a Device and select Chimes.
- Tap I’m Ready to Scan.
- Point your smartphone’s camera at the QR code on your Ring device or product packaging.
- Center the code in the phone camera’s view at the bottom half of the screen.
- When the code is recognized, a green square will appear and a pop-up with your device image detected.
If you experience issues scanning the QR code, please follow these steps:
- Move your camera closer or further from the QR code to help it focus.
- Once your camera finds focus, hold it steady for a few seconds.
- If your camera won’t focus, clean your camera lens, move to a well-lit area, and try again.
If you continue to experience issues, please follow these additional steps:
- Tap Other Options below the scanner.
- Select Can’t Scan the QR code.
- Confirm by selecting Enter code manually (this corresponds to PIN code digits underneath the QR code).
- Find your device in the list.
- Enter your five digit PIN which can be found below the QR code.
Specify Your Location
If this is your first time setting up a Ring device, you will receive a request from your phone informing you that the Ring app wishes to use your phone’s location services to pinpoint your location. Allowing the app to do so will assist with inputting your address.
Enter your address information into the app, then confirm it.
If you have established a location previously, you can select it from the list of your locations.
Plug in Your Ring Chime
Plug your Chime into a standard wall outlet near your wifi router. Once it is plugged in, the Ring logo on the front of your Chime will begin pulsing blue.
Name Your Device
Select a specific name for your Chime to distinguish it from other Ring devices on your account. You can choose one of the default names that are suggested, or you can enter your own by selecting “Custom…” at the bottom of the list.
Put Your Chime into Setup Mode
If you have never set up your Chime before, it will automatically enter Setup mode. Simply wait for the Ring logo on the front of your Chime to begin to pulse slowly, then press the Continue button in the Ring app.
If the Ring logo does not begin to pulse slowly, or if this Chime has been set up previously, press and hold the small button on the side of your Chime for five seconds. Make sure to keep your Chime plugged in during this process.
Connect to Your Ring Device
- iOS: Tap Join when the Ring app asks to join the Ring wifi network.
- Android: Your device should automatically connect to the Ring wifi network.
If your device does not automatically connect to the Ring wifi network, or if you chose to continue without scanning in step four, please follow the steps below:
- Press the home button on your phone to leave the Ring app.
- Navigate to the Settings app, then tap Wifi.
- On Android, you may need to navigate to Connection then Wifi.
- Select the Ring wifi network from the list of available networks. The network will appear as “Chime-” followed by the last six digits of the MAC ID.
- Once connected, close your Settings app and return to the Ring app
Connect Your Ring Chime to Your Wifi
Be sure you’re near your router and have your wifi password ready.
- Select your wifi network.
- If you have more than one wifi network, select the network closest to where you will be installing your Ring Chime.
- Enter your wifi password and press Continue.
After connecting to your wifi network, your Chime may update its internal software. While performing an update, the Ring logo on the front of your device will flash blue. Once the Ring logo stops flashing and lights up solid blue, you know the update is complete and you can continue the setup.
Customize Your Alert Preferences
- Select the Ring device and types of events you would like your Chime to sound an alert for.
- You can change when your Chime will alert you at any time by going to the “Linked Devices” settings for your Chime inside of the Ring app.