Ring Protect Plan is an optional subscription service that allows video recordings from your Ring devices to be saved in your Ring account. Without Ring Protect Plan, you can do Live View on your doorbells and cameras and answer doorbell notifications when they happen, but you do not get video recordings of those events.
You can subscribe to the Ring Protect Basic Plan or Ring Protect Plus Plan on a monthly or yearly basis. Ring Protect Basic covers devices individually. Ring Protect Plus Plan covers all devices at the same location. The Ring Protect Plus Plan also has some additional benefits that you can see in the comparison chart below. In addition, the Ring Protect Plus Plan allows you to have 24/7 monitoring if you have a Ring Alarm system.
Note: Ring Alarm is available in select countries. The professional monitoring service is available only within the U.S. (all 50 states, excluding American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada. (excluding Quebec). Assisted Monitoring is only available to Ring Alarm users in the United Kingdom, Iceland and Ireland.
Ring Protect Plans let you save videos for up to 60 days (in the US) for a reasonable price. You can check out alerts at your convenience and download or share videos.
If your payment method fails, because your credit card expired or is no longer valid, multiple attempts will be made to charge the card before your plan lapses.
Note: At least one Ring device installed on the Ring app, is required to use Ring recording services.
How do I subscribe to the Ring Protect Plan?
You can subscribe by logging into your account on the website and going to My Plans under the top right menu or click on the Subscribe button below.
What are the features of the Ring Protect Plan?
What are the differences between the Ring Protect Basic and Ring Protect Plus plans?
There are four main differences between the Ring Basic Plan and the Protect Plus Plan to consider. The differences are listed below to help you decide which plan is best for your needs.
1. Number of devices covered
- Protect Plus Plan - covers unlimited Ring devices at one location.
- Protect Basic Plan - covers a single camera or doorbell or device. For example, if you have one Spotlight Cam and one Video Doorbell, you would have to get one Protect Basic Plan for each device.
2. Device Warranty
- Protect Plus Plan - includes an extended warranty which will extend your device's original warranty. Once the original warranty expires, the device will be covered under Ring Protect Plus until you discontinue your subscription.
- Protect Basic Plan - includes one year manufacturer's warranty from the purchase date of the device. The standard warranty does not require a Ring Protect Plan subscription.
3. Ring.com Discount - 10% off on selected Ring products only at Ring.com with a paid subscription to the Ring Protect Plus Plan or those on a Ring trial subscription. Discount not available at any other retailers.
4. Professional Monitoring - Only offered with Protect Plus Plan if you have a Ring Alarm system.
- Protect Plus Plan - includes Professional Monitoring in eligible locations if you have a Ring Alarm system: U.S. (excluding American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada (excluding Quebec).
The following chart lists all the features that come with each plan:
|Protect Plus Plan||Protect Basic Plan||Free|
|Real time video with Live View||✓||✓||✓|
|Two way talk||✓||✓||✓|
|Theft Protection 1||✓||✓||✓|
|Video history for 60 days 2||✓||✓|
|Video saving and sharing||✓||✓|
|24/7 professional monitoring for Ring Alarm 4,5,8||✓|
|Cellular Backup for Ring Alarm||✓|
|Extended warranties for all devices 6||✓|
|10% off select products at Ring.com 7||✓|
1. Terms and conditions apply. Learn more about Theft protection here.
2. Your Ring videos are stored in the cloud for up to 60 days, unless you manually change the storage time. Storage is for 30 days if your address is in one of the following countries:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.
To keep important videos beyond that time, download them to your PC or mobile device. You may do this from the Ring app or by going to Ring.com and logging into your account
3. Ring takes recurring photo snapshots throughout the day so you can see what is happening between motion-activated events (videos) in your event history timeline. These photos are stored in your account for up to seven days. To keep important photos beyond seven days, download them to your PC or mobile device.
4. Additional charges may apply in areas that require permits or guard response service for alarm verification.
5. Ring Alarm is available in select countries. The professional monitoring service is available only within the US (all 50 states, excluding American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands) and Canada (excluding Quebec). Assisted Monitoring is only available to Ring Alarm users in the United Kingdom, Iceland and Ireland.
6. For extended warranty coverage to apply to your Ring device, the device must be within its original warranty period when you subscribe to Ring Protect Plus. Once the original warranty expires, the device will be covered under Ring protect Plus until you discontinue your subscription. Non-Ring and other third-party devices are not eligible for the extended warranty.
7. The 10% discount on ring.com activates for Ring protect Plus subscribers and those on the Ring Protect trial. Shop eligible devices here. Terms and conditions apply. See Ring Protect Subscription Plans for more information.
8. You must have a Ring Alarm system to get 24/7 professional monitoring service for Ring Video Doorbells or Ring Security Cameras alone.
How much does the Ring Protect Plan cost?
- Ring Protect Plus Plan
- $10 per month
- $100 Annually
- Save $20 with annual purchase.
- Ring Protect Basic Plan
- $3 per month
- $30 Annually
- Save $6 with annual purchase.
- Ring Protect Free Plan
- Included with all Ring devices.
- No additional charge
I am a Protect Plus subscriber, how do I redeem my discount?
Log in at Ring.com before shopping to have discount apply to your account. Discounts are not available on all ring products.
What are the terms of the 10% discount?
The following lists the terms of the 10% discount:
- Discount does not apply retroactively.
- Discount may not be combined or stacked with other offers or sale prices.
- Discount is non-transferable.
- Does not apply to Ring Assist, non-Ring products or Ring Protect Plan subscriptions.
- Neighbors cannot subscribe to the plan and use the 10% discount in the same transaction.
- Discount applies at the next login session from purchase.
- To use the discount immediately, log out of your account and log back in
- Must be logged into Ring.com to use the discount during checkout.
- Discount not available at other retailers including Amazon.com.
- The discount is applied if you are on the Ring Protect trial.
Will my 10% discount from the Ring Protect Plus plan apply to the Ring Alarm?
Yes. If you already have the Ring Protect Plus Plan, you're eligible for a 10% discount on the Ring Alarm system.
In order to utilize the discount, you will need to log in to your Ring account through Ring.com and then purchase the Ring Alarm system via Ring.com.
Do I have to subscribe to the Ring Protect Plan?
No. The Ring Protect Plan subscription is completely optional. However, without the service, your Ring Alarm System will only send alerts to your smartphone and/or email and will not call authorities. In addition, you will not be able to record or review Ring videos.
Is there a free trial for Ring Protect Plan?
Yes. Your 30-day trial subscription begins as soon as you set up your new Ring product in your Ring app.
What happens if I purchase a Ring Protect Plan during my 30-day trial and then cancel it during that same 30-day trial?
If you cancel a Ring Protect Plan you have purchased during a trial, you will continue to enjoy the benefits of the Ring Protect trial (including video storage and retention) until your 30-day trial is over.
If I purchase a Ring Protect Plan during my 30-day trial, do I lose the remaining days on my trial?
No. If you purchase a Ring Protect Plan during your 30-day trial, you will not lose any of your trial days. Your first day of billing will be after the 30-day trial runs out.
Does Ring Protect Plan require any contracts or long-term commitments?
No. You can choose to cancel your subscription at any time.
Do I have to pay for extra smart phones or tablets connected to a Ring device?
No. You can connect as many phones or tablets as you wish to a single Ring device.
What will happen to my recordings if I don't subscribe?
You can still receive calls, alerts, and Live View from your Ring products without a subscription. If you do not subscribe to a Ring Protect Plan by the end of the trial, all recorded videos will be erased, new events will not be stored, and 24/7 Ring Alarm Professional Monitoring will cease. Ring does not record or store any videos if you are not subscribed to a Ring Protect Plan.
If I don't sign up for Ring Protect Plan, will I still get alerts?
Yes. You'll still get real-time alerts when visitors ring your doorbell or trigger the motion sensors or if one of your alarm sensors is triggered.
If I upgrade from Basic to Plus, how will I be charged?
You will receive a prorated refund for any amount left on your Basic annual plan. The Plus plan will be charged immediately and you will begin a new billing cycle.
If I add a new device to my account on Ring Protect Basic how will I be charged?
When you add a new device to your account on Ring Protect Basic, you will be charged a prorated rate for the remaining difference in days between your new product's inception date and the old product's billing date. That's to get them on the same day billing cycle.
I already signed up for Ring Protect Plus when I purchased another Ring device. I just purchased a Ring Alarm System. Does my plan now cover the 24/7 monitoring plan for the new Ring Alarm system?
Yes. Ring only has one recording and monitoring plan available that includes Ring Alarm Professional Monitoring: Ring Protect Plus for $10 a month or $100 per year. That plan covers all Ring devices at a single Location. If you signed up for that Ring Protect Plan for recording when you purchased a Ring cam or doorbell you will be automatically signed up for Ring Alarm Professional monitoring at no additional charge. Note: While sign-up is automatic, you will still need to enable Professional Monitoring through the Ring app
If I group my Ring devices into multiple Locations, does my Ring Protect plus cover the devices in all of the Locations, or do I need separate plans?
Ring Protect Plus is only good for one geographic location. Therefore, if you have Ring devices registered in different Locations (say your home and your place of business) you'll need a separate Ring Protect Plan for each group of devices.
Will adding more sensors, keypads, or motion detectors affect the monthly fees for Ring Protect Plus Plan?
No. You can connect as many devices (to the programmed maximum) as you wish to your Ring Alarm without it affecting your monthly fee.