If you hardwired your Ring Video Doorbell to your existing doorbell system and want to still hear your old chime, you can set up an in-home chime in the Ring app if you have one of the following devices:
- Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation)
- Ring Video Doorbell 3
- Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus
- Ring Video Doorbell 4
Note: For Ring Video Doorbell (1st Generation) and Ring Video Doorbell 2, you cannot configure an in-home chime in the app.
For Ring Video Doorbell Pro and Pro 2, configuring an in-home chime is more complicated. We recommend asking a qualified electrician, or purchasing a Ring Chime or Chime Pro. These devices plug into your mains and let you choose from 16 doorbell chime tones.
Ring Chime and Chime Pro are also suitable for you if:
- Your doorbell is powered by a rechargeable battery pack, Solar Charger or Plug-In Adapter
- You don’t have an existing doorbell chime
How to manually set up your in-home chime
- Open the Ring app.
- Click the menu icon (three horizontal lines) in the top right corner of your dashboard.
- Tap Devices.
- Tap your Video Doorbell.
- Tap Device Settings.
- Tap In-home Chime Settings.
- Tap Advanced Settings.
- Select your Chime Type.
- Tap Continue.
- Tap Ring my in-home chime.
- Give your Video Doorbell a few minutes to update, then press its button to test your in-home chime.
- If it doesn’t ring correctly, select a different chime type and repeat steps 9 to 11 until it works.
Automatic chime detection
To automatically detect and configure your in-home chime:
- Follow steps 1-6 above.
- Tap Automatic Chime Detection.
- Tap Yes, then wait for the Ring app to attempt to detect your in-home chime.
- If a mechanical chime is detected, you may see the following message: “Is your Ring Doorbell Wired to an in-home doorbell chime?” Choose “Yes, I have an in-home chime.”
- Tap Ring my In-home Chime.
- Follow the instructions and push the button on your Ring doorbell.
- If it doesn’t ring correctly, select one of these options: “My chime rang partially” or “My chime didn’t ring.”
- The Ring app will adjust the device settings automatically and prompt you to test your doorbell again.
- If the app is unable to detect an in-home chime, it will redirect to the start of the chime auto detection process.